Equipment for a beginner

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Equipment for a beginner

Postby caoimin » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:13 pm

Hi All,

I'm in the process of rejecting the mass produced rubbish punted by the supermarkets in favour of making my own. In order to achieve this, I need to buy equipment and in order to buy the RIGHT equipment would like to seek the advice of experts - you lot!!

Some background on my preferred buying habits and aims may help:

- I like to buy good quality, good value items that last a long time

- I don't want to buy 'stepping stone' equipment i.e. buy basic kit and build up to better quality equipment over time

- I don't anticipate making vast quantities of sausages - just enough for family domestic consumption and a few samples for friends.

While there appears to be quality equipment advertised on this website, I am sure similarly high quality equipment can be bought elsewhere. My basic requirements equipment-wise are:

- An electric mincer which minces a variety of grades

- An electric sausage stuffer

- Ideally I would like a multi-purpose item such as a Kenwood Chef which can mince the meat and stuff the casings and also be used for general food preparation

- Maximum of �200 but �50 would be much better!!

- I don't rule out equipment from this site or second-hand equipment.

Can anyone advise on good quality, last a lifetime, equipment?

Thanks.
caoimin
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:23 pm

Hi Caoimin

Firstly welcome to the forum.
You state that you do not want to have a stepping stone type kit, but using the Kenwood chef with attachments is exactly this I am afraid.
I do not think you will get machinery that would last a life time for the money you are speaking of. An electric stuffer will set you back a couple of thousand & a good mince will set you back around �200.
please see the links below for a couple of post of mine ideally for the beginner.
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=410
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=493

And the next link is for a mincer with a sausage attachment, however please be aware that these attachment type stuffers are tapered & as such only really good for Natural casing.
The machine itself is very good I bought one 15 years ago & have only just replaced it with the model indicated in the link.
http://www.johnlewis.com/Shopping/Produ ... ource=6132

Hope this helps

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby caoimin » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:17 am

Thanks Sausagemaker, that's very helpful. Does the Moulinex mincer produce varying coarseness of mince suitable for sausage and burger making in your opinion? The web link says only '..thick/thin grids..'

I thought of the Kenwood Chef because it has a variety of kitchen uses beyond sausage making and so I would get a bit more value for my money. Do you know how it's mincing capabilities compare with the Moulinex you recommended?

You mentioned that an electric stuffer will set you back a couple of thousand? I don't think I could justify that price for domestic sausage consumption. I've seen a Reber 8951 N 8kg electric stuffer on this site for a bit less - do you have recommendations for a cheaper (less than a couple of thousand!) electric stuffer? I couldn't see any such recommendations on the link at:
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=410

Thanks in advance,

Caoimin.
caoimin
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:03 pm

Hi Caoimin

The Moulinex mincer comes with a 5 mm & 8 mm screen which is ideal for sausage & burger making.
Yes you are right in saying the Kenwood chef has a variety of uses but as such it may be more flimsy in the drive shaft area but I cannot really say for sure. I think it's a case you pay your money & take your choice.
As for the Reber 8951 N 8 Kg model this is not an electric stuffer it is a hand crank machine, unless Franco has this one with electric.

Hope this helps
Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby caoimin » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:30 pm

wow, I assumed those were electric. :oops: Back to the drawing board.
caoimin
Registered Member

Return to Beginners