Complete Salami kit??

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Complete Salami kit??

Postby Nozwaldo » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:54 pm

As with other such posts, been making sausage for a while now, and decided to have a crack at the salami. I ordered and received the 'all you need to add is meat' from Franco's site (so I guess Franco is the obvious bloke to give me the definitive answer to this query). Spice packs (X2), starter culture, and runners arrived; but to my surprise no cure no.2? Further, the recipe which came with the pack makes no mention of cure. Is this pack for the production of summer (cooked before eaten) sausage, or is it actually for fully cured salami? And if the latter, how are we avoiding the necessity for Cure no.2? I've looked around a bit these past few weeks, on Len Poli's site and elsewhere, and all seem to use No.2.

I remain slightly confused, and would appreciate your assistance gentlemen.
Nozwaldo
Registered Member

Postby Platypus » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:07 am

Hi Nozwaldo,

In the "Salami Kit" Franco has already mixed the cure #2 in with the spice packs, so you just need to mix it with your meat (56g/Kg IIRC) and you will get the required cure rate.

He does NOT include cure #2 in the mix if you buy just the spice packs, it is only included in the "Salami Kit"
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby Nozwaldo » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:35 pm

Thanks Platty, I thought I was missing something!

I presume that that the curing period, temp, and R/H, is as other recipes?

No complaints Franco, but given my own knowledge of consumer law, I'd be keen to put some 'contents' label on the spice bags if I were you; if only to watch your own back. Just in case some dumbo like me decides to make 'extra-spicy' salami, and increases the spice content in ignorance.
Nozwaldo
Registered Member

Postby Platypus » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:19 am

Yeah Nozwaldo, you can do everything else just the same as all the other recipes.
Platypus
Registered Member

Return to Beginners