Portioner experience

The place to swap commercial recipes, techniques etc.

Portioner experience

Postby EdwinT » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:16 am

Hi,

Our production of sausages is now reaching the point where manual portioning is becoming too time consuming and we are looking for a cheap mechanical portioner of the table-top variety that will portion sausages from about 8cm to 25 cm in length and diameters of around 25mm down to around 10mm. The stuffer we are using is of the hydraulic type.... something like http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/fma-13751.html

We only use natural pork and sheep casings which can be pretty fragile.

I was looking at the model L.80 as seen here http://www.superiorfoodmachinery.com/downloads/data_sheets/1328113620L80.pdf

However, I have talked to an engineer who tells me that this type of machine has a tendency to tear natural casings. Does anyone have experience of this type of machine when using natural casings? Alternatively can anyone direct me to a piece of equipment for around the same price that would suit our needs?

Thank you very much for any assistance that is forthcoming.
:D :D[/url]
EdwinT
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:10 pm

I've used the hand-crank like that as well as the electrice conveyor type, and was most unhappy with both. They're right, both kinds are very tough on casings, I lost (if I remember right, it's been 15 years since I messed with one) around 25% of my run to the machine.

I portion everything by hand and get it close to weight manually. I don't worry about being exact, as customers like the 'artisan' type sausage, and I don't ever do a batch over 100# at a time, with a retail run of 500# a day being the most. It boils down to how important is exact portioning to you, and is there a way to do it by hand that doesn't eat up your time.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby EdwinT » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Oddwookie,

Thanks very much for the feedback. Based on your experience, I think I will continue as we are for as long as we can. Our biggest run is around 100 kg a day but we can sustain that for the moment.

Thanks again
EdwinT
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:39 pm

EdwinT wrote:Oddwookie,

Thanks very much for the feedback. Based on your experience, I think I will continue as we are for as long as we can. Our biggest run is around 100 kg a day but we can sustain that for the moment.

Thanks again

I agree with Oddwookie as mine was the same, only use it for the collagen casings.

400+ kg a day is not imposable by hand but can get tedious (been there and done it), my first thoughts was reinvest in a vacuum stuffer (which was what we did at the smokehouse) --- after doing a quick search I came across this (I had forgotten all about these) which is used by the small operators before they venture into the big toys :lol:

It might be just what you are looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=YoG ... =endscreen
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby EdwinT » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:58 am

Brican,

Thank you for the link.It looks very interesting. However I can't seem to find a site that gives an indication of the price. Coincidentally we are currently using the EM-30 Mainca stuffer but with the twister attachment. Do you know of the rough cost of the pr-250?
EdwinT
Registered Member

Re: Portioner experience

Postby jomi4us » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:35 am

Hi, have you gotten an update on the pricing of PR-250? And, if you could share how much the Mainca piston stuffer costs? Did you get it? Are they good to work? Thanks for help. :)
jomi4us
Newly Registered

Re: Portioner experience

Postby wheels » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:31 pm

Here's the UK price:

http://www.smsfoodequip.com/twist-linker.htm

With VAT (tax) it's £9420

Maybe that gives an idea.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to For food service professionals, chefs, butchers etc.