Butchery guides

The place to swap commercial recipes, techniques etc.

Butchery guides

Postby Boycebangers » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:23 am

I have read some where here that one or more of you have a website with a butchery guide.

Now I am going to be down right awkward!!! Sorry!
I am after an idiotproof butchers guide for Pigs and Sheep and maybe chickens although I could probably muller that one nicely myself without instruction!
But and there is always a but...I am moving to the Falklands next month onto a small holding and computer/internet access is a little like rocking horse poo!
So what I would really like is these guides on disc/DVD...can I burn these tutorials to disc myself or is it a complete non starter?

If any of the owners of these wonderful tutorials are reading this then please get in contact with me asap and help me find a solution....even printed sheets with lots of pictures and clear/concise instructions would be great.

Thanking you all in advance.
Boycebangers
Registered Member

Cutting instructions

Postby oldspots » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:29 am

Hi

If you get in touch with the Meat and Livestock Commission at PO Box 44, Winterhill House, Snowden Drive, Milton Keynes MK6 1AX, they produce booklets on Cutting and Preparing Lamb and Pork and also beef. Its a step by step guide and is very good. Looks easy but I can assure you until you practise abit it can be difficult.

Good luck.
Own rare breed Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs and sell pork & bacon
oldspots
Registered Member

Postby georgebaker » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:44 am

Hi
while I am sure what Oldspot says is true for his market, since I only cut meet for home I just get stuck in 'cos it still tastes alright, Just give it a go

Good luck
George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby Boycebangers » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:05 am

Think I will have a go, if nothing else to be able to say I tried!

And as it is only for personal consumption and will be mullered to go in a sausage, no one will really be any the wiser!

I know that this sounds like a funny question but do you need a fair amount of muscle to be able to butcher?
I am of a very slight build and therefore not very strong so just wondered if I would need my hubby to lend a hand although it is not his cup of tea!
Boycebangers
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:22 am

Boycebangers

If you have a good sharp knife and a good sharpening steel you will be able to handle it no matter how slight you are. Depending on the size of the side of pork you may need a hand lifting it onto the work surface, then it's just a case of rotating it whilst processing it... and it gets lighter all the time.
Although I have a butchers saw and 2 cleavers I rarely use them, preferring to use a boning knife. The only thing I use the cleaver for is splitting the head.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:26 am

If you are slight of build you may need the old man to lift the carcass onto a suitable table for butchering. Get yourself a good set of knives and a butchers saw and you should be all set.

Here are some meat cutting guides

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=825

Paul Kribs Butchering 1/2 a pig

http://www.btinternet.com/~happydudevir/butchering.html
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Boycebangers » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:57 am

I have all the tools/knives etc from my days at college...the only problem is that in a 1 year catering course, we actually only spent 1 afternoon doing butchery and the old grey matter has diminished in all those years!
And if memory serves me correctly then all we did was joint a chicken and watch a video about butchering other animals!
Boycebangers
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:44 am

Boycebangers

If you want to make yourself a printed copy of any tutorial just right click anywhere on the web page and 'select all', then it's just a case of printing it out. Alternatively you can copy into Microsoft Word and reformat it to your own preferred design and then save it to disk and/or print it out. Obviously, where there are picture thumbnail links to bigger pictures, you would have to click the thumbnail to access the bigger picture and then save it seperately.. then you could again incorporate it into a Word document. If you wanted a copy of my small sausage linking video clip, just right click the thumbnail and 'save target as' onto your PC.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Boycebangers » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:39 am

Thanks....will have a mass print out sesion later! :D

I did realise that by right clicking I could print etc but I was not sure if I was allowed to do this on some of the sites etc that other members have created, copywrite and all that! :?

Thanks for all your help, as I will be in the Falklands when I attempt this I will try and post some pictures....probably titled "how not to butcher", but it may be some time before I can get online anywhere! :x

So fingers crossed and think of me doing battle with a carcass whilst screaming at the rest of the family! :evil:
Boycebangers
Registered Member

Postby Demeter » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:50 pm

wrote:“Don't take a butcher's advice on how to cook meat. If he knew, he'd be a chef."
Demeter
Registered Member

Return to For food service professionals, chefs, butchers etc.