Small-Scale Production for Farmer's Markets: Equipment

The place to swap commercial recipes, techniques etc.

Small-Scale Production for Farmer's Markets: Equipment

Postby Cultured Foods » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:00 pm

Hello I am new to this forum, and new to sausage making as well. My profession is as a fermenter of vegetables, mostly sauerkraut. However, my girlfriend and I have set out to make a micro business this summer selling sausages at farmer's markets in Hawaii. There are no fresh grilled sausage stands here yet.

We are looking at selling 100 sausages a market, 2 or 3 times a week. Total 300 sausage a week, or 100 lbs a week. The reality of how much we can actually sell may be up to 50 percent these figures in the first months.

They will be made fresh in a certified kitchen, then frozen for later use. We'd like to make batches every 2 weeks.

This is the equipment I think we'll need to get started.

Meat Grinder: LEM .75 horsepower rated at 365 lbs/hour.

http://www.amazon.com/LEM-Products-Stai ... roduct_top

Stuffer: LEM 15lb Stuffer

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/792/194

To anyone out there who could offer feedback on whether these tools would do the job well, I thank you very much.

Ryan
"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you don't stop." Confucius
Cultured Foods
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:38 pm

They're big sausages 300 = 100lbs = 3 to a lb.

The equipment you link to is adequate for 3 x 30lb (ish) batches per week. However, I'd think about the future (and an easier life!) and maybe go larger at this stage rather than having to get new equipment later.

Personally, I'd want a #22 grinder with at least 1 hp and a minimum requirement for the stuffer would be a quick release for refilling. Winding the piston up to refill becomes annoying after a while.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Cultured Foods » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:58 am

Thanks Phil, that is great advice. Much appreciated.
Cultured Foods
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:56 am

Something else to keep in mind is used equipment. For similar prices you can get more machine for a similar investment. The flip side of that is that (in the US, anyway) there's a lot of used equipment available because it's hard for a small producer to make it work. For my money though, I'd rather be over-equipped and not need it quite yet, then be struggling to produce with too-small equipment.

Something to keep in mind, if you're selling grilled sausages and are a hit, I guarantee people are going to be asking to buy the uncooked sausages from you. Your production may well go up quicker then you planned on.

I'll be interested in seeing how you make out, though. After 15 years of badgering the boss in the family meat shop, I'm taking our business to a local farmer's market as well. I'm terrified! :)
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby Cultured Foods » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:07 am

Good luck, Oddwookie in your venture. Ive been looking around for used sausage making equipment, and am not opposed to buying. I bought a used hobart food processor from ebay, and it has been working great so far.
Cultured Foods
Registered Member

Return to For food service professionals, chefs, butchers etc.