Brine cure

Recipes and techniques using brine.

Re: Brine cure

Postby sundodger » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:29 pm

As a follow on to all of this, I cooked my first Gammon joint the other day (or the remains of it after a few steaks had been removed) I was left with about one & a half kilos. As a "brain wave" I placed the joint uncovered in a large pan, with just a couple of inches of water & the meat was set on a trivet so that it was above the liquid. The ham was then steamed for around an hour & a half & a core temp of 70c attained. I then removed the joint, let it cool completely & thinly sliced it. It tastes great but is more like roast ham I feel than boiled ! Having read all the previous posts, it would seem to me that I perhaps may have been better if the ham has been immersed in the liquid? My original thoughts being that steaming would be a more gentle way to cook ?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be !
sundodger
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Steaming is high temp.I usually cook in a slow cooker using a bag.Internal temp needs to be 66-71 deg F.
You can bake (glazed if you want) after cooking.

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby sundodger » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks Jim....Yeah I in retrospect thought along those lines - Teacher always wrote "Must try harder" :D
sundodger
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:04 am

sundodger wrote: As a "brain wave" I placed the joint uncovered in a large pan, with just a couple of inches of water & the meat was set on a trivet so that it was above the liquid. The ham was then steamed for around an hour & a half & a core temp of 70c attained. I then removed the joint, let it cool completely & thinly sliced it. It tastes great but is more like roast ham I feel than boiled ! Having read all the previous posts, it would seem to me that I perhaps may have been better if the ham has been immersed in the liquid? My original thoughts being that steaming would be a more gentle way to cook ?

Always fill roasting pan with water
Oven temperature 160 C
cook for 20 minuets per pound + 20 minuets extra
Internal temperature when you pull from over 62 C leave sitting on the side and internal temp will rise to 70 C
If you take ham out when it reaches 70 C you stand a very big chance of being dry and over cooked

Just my 2 pennyworth for what it is :?
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby sundodger » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:42 pm

... Thanks for that Robert :D
sundodger
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Brine cured meats