What is your preferred curing method?

Recipes and techniques using brine.

What is your preferred curing method?

Postby AKokkinos » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:32 pm

Hi to all. After reading many of the posts here it seems that the resident experts tend to favor a curing method over other ones. So, for example, for bacon almost always a dry cure is recommended, but for larger pieces of meat, brining or injection & brining is recommended. So, would you mind sharing your preferred method of curing for various types of cuts (bacon, ham, large (4kg+) and / or small pieces (2-3 kg). I am in the process of learning (so far, very good results for bacon and sausages), so now I have turned my attention to ham, and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Andreas
AKokkinos
Registered Member

Re: What is your preferred curing method?

Postby NCPaul » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:35 pm

I'm not an expert but I like dry curing for pork bellies or loins and a combination of injection and dry curing for brisket (though I may be switching loins over to this as well). If I was trying to do a ham, I would use this combination. The only thing I brine cure is turkey. There are several ways to have a successful cure; the choice of technique can be connected to tools or containers, comfort with the technique, tradition, time, or available curing salts.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:21 am

NCPaul's scaring me! He's not mentioned brine curing, even though he understands it better than all of us! :lol: :lol:

Preferred is one thing: easiest another. And best quality? Well that may be neither of those.

Personally, I like dry cured bacon; It's simple to make, and good.

I tend towards injection cured ham: but only for simplicity. I write about it often because people are impatient, and want things done so quickly.

...and therein lies a quandary: play to the crowd, or produce a great product?

For ham, as far as I am concerned, immersion or dry cured products are far better quality. However, calculating the cures for immersion cures is a minefield. What I'm trying to do at present is to produce a set of immersion cures that comply with all the standards, however you calculate them.

Until someone comes up with a better idea, I commend Oddleys combination Ham cure - and captain wassname's adaption of it.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby captain wassname » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:00 pm

I am a "show me the arithmetic" person and so stick to what can be proved.
I use dry cure for bacon,A combination cure for pork loins which I turn into bacon steaks or chops.I will use a 2-1 brine cure for hams up to 2.5kg. which is as large as I need to go.
Were I to cure a larger ham I would use a combination cure.
That is the extent of my curing as I am not a fan of air dried bacon or ham.

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Return to Brine cured meats