The Perfect Ham?

Recipes and techniques using brine.

Re: The Perfect Ham?

Postby yotmon » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:09 am

They all look very good indeed ! I've just been tucking into a small (2kg) ham I cooked on Saturday following Wheel's 'Pauline's Ham recipe'. This is the 5th ham I've made using the recipe and can't fault it. Easy to follow and ready in less than a week. Must force myself to try a different ham in the new year - I've got a 2.5kg piece waiting for my decision, but so much to choose from........
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:55 am

Yes, you must! I'll blow my own trumpet and confirm that "Pauline's Ham" is superb. But other, longer term cures are better. My New Year's Resolution is to pursue the art of brine curing further. That's where greatness lies? Or not!

Watch this space.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Ruralidle » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:52 am

I wish I had a cool space where I could brine cure hams etc. Wait a minute, a local farm shop has offered me some space in their walk-in chiller so perhaps ............

Happy New Year everyone.

PS Any suggestions on where I can source food grade lidded buckets and rectangular lidded boxes for dry curing?
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:56 pm

Ruralidle wrote:PS Any suggestions on where I can source food grade lidded buckets and rectangular lidded boxes for dry curing?

http://www.wilko.com/homebrew/homebrew- ... perpage=12

Wilkinsons have an offer on their home brew lidded x 25l buckets - just the right size for a full ham.

If you have any commercial bakers/confectioners near to you, then they usually buy products in food grade buckets then sell them off cheaply/give them away. Always worth a look.

HTH. Ste.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:58 pm

Ruralidle wrote:I wish I had a cool space where I could brine cure hams etc. Wait a minute, a local farm shop has offered me some space in their walk-in chiller so perhaps ............

Happy New Year everyone.

PS Any suggestions on where I can source food grade lidded buckets and rectangular lidded boxes for dry curing?

Wow, you will be having a Happy New Year. It might be worth having a word with these people:

http://www.plastor.co.uk/catalog/food-h ... containers

or

http://www.storagedesign-catalogue.com/ ... iners.html

I got these by Googling "Food grade bins", so they're not recommendations.

Let us know when you're operational, I, for one, would love to visit.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Ruralidle » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:32 pm

Thanks guys

2 fermenting buckets ordered from Wilko for brining (plus a few other bits so that I can maybe make elderflower fizz in 2014). A storage box with drainer shelf from Nisbets http://www.nisbets.co.uk/4/Kitchen-Food-Storage-Food-Storage-Boxes-Vogue-Food-Storage-Boxes/c01c02c03c04.r10.1 for dry curing bacon. Updates in due course :wink: .
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Doh! Did I read more into it than I should? I thought that you'd be supplying the farm-shop! :oops:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Ruralidle » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:25 am

Sorry Phil but I'm afraid you did! I am just looking to expand my hobby for home consumption. I already use a part of the top shelf of our fridge for my wheat sourdough starters and rye sour so when I want to cure bacon or ham or otherwise deal with hams etc I get grief for occupying a large part of our cooling capacity. Add to this, middle daughter's boyfriend is a bacon fiend and I have very little surplus "production" to give away to friends so I wanted to be able to cure maybe up to four loins, and maybe some bellies, at a time. I can then get enough bacon smoked during the cold weather to take us through the summer when we may get weather too hot to allow me to cold smoke safely.

One side effect of this is that I will have to pay "rent" to the folk at the farm shop and if they like the products I may well look into the practicalities of supplying them for sale - but that is for the future. I'm just looking to be able to keep my family and friends in product at the moment ( the ham described above has had rave reviews - thanks for the inspiration Brican!).
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:09 pm

He of the little brain, Wheels, he say: "Ruralidle on slippery road to making bacon for living!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Ruralidle » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:39 pm

Possibly maybe, perhaps - but I doubt it. Maybe extra pocket money but not enough to keep me in Porsches :wink: :lol: :lol:
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:50 pm

Ah, you wealthy Salopians! :lol: :lol:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Ruralidle » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:25 pm

:) :) - not really, I "invested" my pension lump sum when I was retired on ill health grounds. It's my mid-life crisis car - because I'm lucky to have a mid-life to have a crisis in :lol: :lol: .
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:47 pm

Ruralidle wrote: Add to this, middle daughter's boyfriend is a bacon fiend and I have very little surplus "production" to give away to friends

Come'on lad; there is some'ert wrong wiv this picture -- ether start making some lousy bacon for him or just plain put im tu work :wink:

One side effect of this is that I will have to pay "rent" to the folk at the farm shop and if they like the products I may well look into the practicalities of supplying them for sale - but that is for the future. I'm just looking to be able to keep my family and friends in product at the moment ( the ham described above has had rave reviews - thanks for the inspiration Brican!).

You do realize young sir that you have now stepped onto the slippery slope ov no return :lol: :lol:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:51 pm

Ruralidle wrote::) :) - not really, I "invested" my pension lump sum when I was retired on ill health grounds. It's my mid-life crisis car - because I'm lucky to have a mid-life to have a crisis in :lol: :lol: .

I can now see deliveries being made in the Porsche justifying the high priced bacon :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:56 pm

BriCan wrote:I can now see deliveries being made in the Porsche justifying the high priced bacon :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

I'm liking the sound of that. Do they come with refrigerated backs?
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Brine cured meats