Corned Beef Calculator?

Recipes and techniques using brine.

Re: Corned Beef Calculator?

Postby GailM1 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:06 pm

As you all seem to be experts in the field of corned beef, I'm hoping you can give me some advice. I've made it a few times over the years, I just use saltpetre (usually about a tsp) and haven't poisoned anybody yet. I always like trying new recipes and found one from Diana Henry in her curing book. It suggests 55g of saltpetre for 2.5kg of beef. It just looks like an awful lot now I've weighed it out. Does this seem ok to you? Has anyone tried her recipe before?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... ecipe.html
GailM1
Newly Registered

Postby Ruralidle » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:47 pm

Whilst it is good to see Sausagemaking.org getting a mention, I would NOT use 55g of saltpetre. However, I am not experienced enough to calculate what you need so perhaps one of our experts can step in to advise us.
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:20 pm

Welcome GailM. :D :D

The level of saltpetre in that brine will potentially give a level of nitrate in the meat of at least 25 - 35 times the EU maximum level for new products! IMO the recipe also doesn't give time for the best conversion of the saltpetre using the bacteria in the meat - I'd revise the brine and also either allow longer in the brine, or have a period between brining and cooking for the cure to equalise throughout the meat, or both.

No I wouldn't! I just wouldn't use that recipe!

Even the teaspoon that you mention in your recipe is quite a lot by modern standards. I can have a look at your recipe if you'd like?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby GailM1 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:31 pm

Hi Phil,
Thanks for confirming that, I did think it sounded like a lot. I'm just surprised that there hasn't been any comment online or in the book with regards to it. The recipe I've been using is one I printed off online after quite a bit of reading a few years ago, I think I might have even found it on here somewhere. The only thing I will add is that I do like to leave the meat in the brine for a long time, so perhaps that makes a difference. I never leave it for less than 10 days, usually more like a fortnight.
I'm now heading over to Amazon to leave a review for that book....
GailM1
Newly Registered

Previous

Return to Brine cured meats