Pepper Crusted Ham

Recipes and techniques using brine.

Pepper Crusted Ham

Postby johnnycurewell » Sat May 31, 2014 4:07 pm

Hi

I'd like to have a go at making a pepper crusted ham. Although I've cured a few hams now, and have been pleased with the results, I've never experimented with glazes, rubs, etc.

In principle the idea's simple - just coat a regular cured ham with cracked black peppercorns - but I was hoping for some more detailed guidance as to the best way to go about this. Basically what's the best technique to ensure the pepper sticks to the ham?

I'm thinking apply the pepper mixture straight after the brining process then leave it to rest for a day or two. Would coating the meat with oil before the pepper mixture help? Maybe try searing the meat (already coated) before cooking? Obviously 'boiling' the ham isn't an option so it will need to be roasted.

This is of course more of a cooking question, and I'll be the first to admit I'm no great cook, so any suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks
johnnycurewell
Registered Member

Re: Pepper Crusted Ham

Postby quietwatersfarm » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:47 am

two ways I would say best;

First one - roll ham, as you say, after brine in cracked pepper. The moisture of the ham should ensure the pepper sticks.

The second, and favourite for me, is to make up a little honey mustard glaze and brush this on the ham just prior to cooking and then apply the cracked pepper this will stick and form a nice crust. Then gently bake the ham on a rack above a water bath.
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:32 pm

I'd go with the second way - glaze then coat with the pepper.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johnnycurewell » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:50 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Yes the honey idea makes sense as it would presumably act as an adhesive for the pepper. The trouble is I'd rather not have that sweetness. I suppose the mustard would contract it somewhat though.

Any ideas for flavourless alternatives? I was toying with maybe using vegetable oil as I mentioned, some kind of starch based solution such as corn flour, or even egg whites?

Probably a good idea to experiment with some cheap chicken breasts before committing to any cured meats.
johnnycurewell
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:57 pm

if you just want a glue a flavourless oil like grapeseed and a little arrowroot powder mixed in will do it
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby johnnycurewell » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:55 pm

Good thinking. I've got some canola oil so I'll give it a try.

Thanks for that.
johnnycurewell
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:55 am

I wonder whether xanthan gum would do the same as the arrowroot? A tiny bit of it will thicken things, even when used cold.

Phil

Added 22-07-14:

The answer to this is NO! Xanthan gum does not thicken oil.
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby RodinBangkok » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:40 am

Try a glucose syrup, something like bakers glucose, its extremely dense, and can easily be thinned a bit with water. It does not impart much flavor based on the small surface area per portion your using it on, and also acts as a browning agent. Not easy to work with, best way is to heat it in a microwave in the container, then pour some out into a thinning agent such as water.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:59 pm

Great idea, that stuff sticks like "the proverbial to a blanket!"
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johnnycurewell » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:58 am

Thanks for all the brilliant suggestions folks.

Rushed off my feet at the moment as usual but look forward to trying out some of these ideas in the near future.

BTW, while we're on the subject, when making pastrami what's the normal practice for coating the meat before smoking? All the recipes I've seen simply say "coat the meat", but surely it's no different from coating and roasting a ham, i.e the mixture has to stick, no?
johnnycurewell
Registered Member

Return to Brine cured meats