Corned ox tongue recipe

Recipes and techniques using brine.

Corned ox tongue recipe

Postby Stefan C » Mon May 18, 2009 10:48 am

Hi,

I'm trying to make corned ox tongue. I'm cooking the tongue sous vide at 65�c for 48 hours. The recipe I have is:

1L water
125g salt
7g Prague powder 1
Ox tongues

Dissolve the salt and prague powder 1 in the water. Sous vide the tongue with the brine and cook in water bath at 65�c for 48 hours.

Do you think this is too much prague powder 1? As far as I can see this is recipe has 0.43g sodium nitrite which means 430 PPM in the brine. Im not sure how much is broken down during cooking and how much actually penetrates the meat.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Stefan
Stefan C
Newly Registered

Postby wheels » Mon May 18, 2009 12:42 pm

Hi Stefan and welcome to the forum. :D

An interesting recipe, where's it from?

The level of cure seems OK, if anything on the low side:

Your calculation of 430 PPM is slightly out as the salt also has to be included in the calculation.

To assess the level of cure absorbed by the product in 48 hours is a difficult one but, assuming a 'pick up' by the meat of 10%, it would be 36 PPM Nitrite and 1.16% salt.

The only other thing is that the effectiveness of Nitrite is reduced on heating, maybe give it a couple of days in the cold brine before cooking?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

tongue

Postby deeps-23 » Tue May 19, 2009 8:27 am

i use len polis coened beef recipe for tongue its very good,my butcher likesit so cant be to bad
deeps-23
Registered Member

Postby Stefan C » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:30 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.
That recipes is just a formula Ive worked out through trial and error. I'm actually cutting the tongue in 2 to speed up salt diffusion and cook the tongue at 65�c sous vide. I had problems getting the tongue pink through to the centre so instead of brining it for 3 weeks I based this method on a old corned beef recipe.
Stefan C
Newly Registered

Postby saucisson » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:40 pm

I almost bought a fresh ox tongue on Oxford's Covered market to brine on Friday, then I saw it was �8.25 :shock:

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Return to Brine cured meats