All I wanted is some corned beef!

Recipes and techniques using brine.

All I wanted is some corned beef!

Postby gougeongirl » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:45 pm

I have my beef, but I live in a city that apparently has no sources for curing salt, tinted meat cure or saltpetre.

I think I can get sodium nitrate. If i freeze the meat and wait, I can order prague powder #1.

What do I need to do to create a brine for a homemade corned beef?

I've done it without the nitrate, but I really don't care for the grey colour.

I have read so much information that now my brain is full. I can post the brine recipe I plan on using, if that will help.

Thanks!

gougeongirl
gougeongirl
Registered Member

Postby Ianinfrance » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:58 pm

Are you in Europe?

If so I will gladly send you some nitrited salt, (at 0.6% so it's a straight replacement for salt when corning - if a bit finer). I bought 5 kg which will probably last me 50 years, which is a bit of a waste if time, given that I'm 68 now!
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby gougeongirl » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:23 pm

Unfortunately, Ottawa, Canada.

I fully appreciate your offer, though. Thank-you very much.

I am checking the local oriental markets for nitrate powder: if I find some, I am thinking I can probably compound my own.

"Curing salt, also known as Prague powder #1, is a combination that is 93.75% salt and 6.25% sodium nitrite or sodium nitrate" -- Wikipedia.

Is this a straight replacement for the salt in my current recipe? (essentially salt water, pickling spices, garlic and meat.)

I am longing for a good corned beef on caraway rye... a little fat, and a rotkohl on the side .....
gougeongirl
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:37 pm

gougeongirl wrote: I am thinking I can probably compound my own.

"Curing salt, also known as Prague powder #1, is a combination that is 93.75% salt and 6.25% sodium nitrite or sodium nitrate" -- Wikipedia.

Prague #1 doesn't contain nitrate and need to be milled to get the grains an equal size - please don't try a home-made version (even if you can get put sodium nitrite).

Is this a straight replacement for the salt in my current recipe? (essentially salt water, pickling spices, garlic and meat.)

No, it isn't, and if you do, you're going to poison yourself.

You can get the cure from:

http://www.butcher-packer.com/

http://www.sausagemaker.com/

I'm sure one of our Canadian members will advise further on the best supplier.

When you have it please use a recipe specifically designed for this cure - there are some on here.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Chuckwagon » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:58 am

Hi gougeongirl,
Just southwest of Ottawa, across Lake Ontario, is Buffalo - very near Niagara Falls. This is where the Sausagemaker ™ is located. You can order toll free at 888-490-8525 or get customer service at 716-824-5814. You can even order online at www.sausagemaker.com. They can supply you with any type of cure you need. Please don’t attempt to mix your own.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it probably needs a little more time on the grill.
Chuckwagon
Registered Member

Postby gougeongirl » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:58 am

It does look as if that's the way I'll be doing it.

It would be a terrible to thing to wind up either ill or dead from a sandwich. :)

You'd probably end up on a "News of the Weird" type website.
gougeongirl
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:07 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pop back when you've got the Prague powder #1 (cure #1/pink salt) and we'll guide you through it. :D

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Brine cured meats