meat tumblers??

Recipes and techniques using brine.

meat tumblers??

Postby niv » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:59 pm

oddley posted for me a couple of days back a salt beef recipe.. havn't tried yet

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... 7167#27167

trying tuesday....
since then i have been asking a bunch of questions, but always have more...

i have been reading that a meat tumbeler can make the process much faster and improve the taste - becuase it spreads the brine throught the whole peice of meet.

basing on oddles recipe at what stage should i put the meat in a tumbler and for how long.

i read "Massaging is an additional curing step employed by commercial plants and it involves placing pumped up pieces of meat into a meat tumbler. This is a machine with a rotating drum and the meat pieces will be bouncing around its mowing walls providing even better brine distribution inside of the meat. Using high production stitch pumping machines and a tumbler a ham can be ready for the smoker in 24 hours."

would this be true for a 2.5 kilo briskette intended to be bioled????

(i have access to a meat tumblrt)
thanks!!!!!!
niv
niv
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:19 pm

Sorry, I don't know the why's and wherefore's of tumbled meat.

Most of us here are trying to make a product that's far removed from the commercially produced meats that these tumblers produce, so I guess that it's never entered the discussions.

It would be interesting to know if a quality product can be made if this method is used just to assist curing, rather than to mix phosphates and water etc into the meat to increase margins.

If you go ahead with it, please let us know how you get on.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Brine cured meats