salt beef - pressure cooker

Recipes and techniques using brine.

salt beef - pressure cooker

Postby niv » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:18 pm

hi ( 2 days tilll cooking)
first i would like to say thank you for all of the help i have been given till now!

ive never cooked with a pressure cooker before - but after trying a couple of times cooking in a regular pot (never tried with oddleys recipe... this will be the first) seems like the pressure cooker is a much better way! more like steaming the meat then boiling it/ (i want it as tender as possible...)

oddleys recipe says:
Pressure cooker Method

"Bring enough water to boil to reach the trivet plate. Put the corned beef in the pressure cooker on the trivet. Put the lid on and bring the pressure cooker up to the 2nd ring 15 psi for 1 hour. let pressure natrually reduce."

Cooking ingredients

boquet garni
1 carrot, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
1 leek, chopped
1 garlic bulb, cut in half across middle

from what i understand this is how i do it: (please tell me if i have any mistakes)

pour water up to the trivet plate - place the meat on top. on the meat i put in all of the vegatbles. turn on a high heat - after the pressure is high (steams comes out) i reduce the heat to a low and let cook for 1 hour. after that what??? let pressure reduce naturally - that means i turn off the heat and wait?

as u can see im kinda confused.....

thanks again !!!!!

niv
niv
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:49 pm

If you are pressure cooking, don't put in the cooking ingredients, Put just the meat on a trivet plate, bring up to 15 psi, cook for 1 hour, turn off the heat and wait until the pressure reduces, before taking the pressure cooker lid off.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:00 pm

It's also worth checking the minimum liquid requirements for a 1 hour cooking time in your particular make of cooker.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Brine cured meats