Corned beef brine concentation.

Recipes and techniques using brine.

Postby captain wassname » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:09 am

Hi Mel
It would probably be too late for any alterations to your cure as by now the salt level in the meat will almost certainly be over2%.
As I said before you can leave it for a total of 10 days and you will be exactly where the recipe intended.
As you know I wouldnt proceed but Its really up to you.As you say It seems to have worked for some people.
without the cure you wont achieve that pink colour that is the norm with corned beef.
Sorry I couldnt be of more help but if you are going to have another go I would have some suggestions for you.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby Salmo » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:50 am

Hello Jim
Unless NCPaul comes up with something else I will go with your ten day suggestion & see how it comes out.
I think that next time I will go with a dry cure ,as they seem to be more straight forward.
Thanks again for the advice.
Mel
Give a man a fish,and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish,and you won't see him again for the rest of the season.
Salmo
Registered Member

Postby Salmo » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:32 pm

Just found this:
:http://ruhlman.com/2010/03/corned-beef-how-to-cure-your-own
I understand that this Ruhlman chap is a respected authority on all matters charcuterie (?)
Anyway,he states that Nitrite is not necessary from a safety point of view & is only optional.
He also states that a 5% brine soln is OK & that a 5lb brisket will cure in 5 days.
Curiouser & curiouser.

I'm beginning to think I should have stuck with Fray Bentos!! :cry: [/url]

Sorry-couldn't get the link to work this time :oops:
Salmo
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:14 pm

Mel
Glad were sorted.
Im still experimenting with salt pickup.
Wouldnt want to comment on 5lb but agree 5 days in your brine would probably leave your 1 kilo with over 2% salt.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:47 pm

Salmo, I use Oddley's recipe for corned beef, which can be found part way down on this thread:
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=3297
To make it you'll need curing salt and a meat syringe to inject the brisket. There are many ways to make corned beef but this way makes the most sense to me.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Salmo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:41 pm

Hello Paul
Following the friendly controversy here ,and contradictory instructions on the net, I decided to cut short the cure time & removed the brisket today.
I cut it in half (always my intention) and cooked half tonight for dinner,the other half has been given a home made "pastrami rub" & I will be cold smoking it tomorrow.
Out of interest the meat had gained weight by over 10%-don't know if that information is of any use to you?
The corned beef we had for dinner was most enjoyable,but whether I would go to all the trouble again ,I'm not sure.
I think I will get another cut of brisket (I've not cooked it before) & braise it slowly,in the same way as I cooked the corned beef,& compare the two.
I will post a verdict on the pastrami once I've "sampled" it :wink:
Thanks again for your, & Jim's ,advice
Mel
Salmo
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Brine cured meats