Rubbery Cheese

Recipes and techniques for soft cheese.

Rubbery Cheese

Postby Lee » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:08 pm

I got a cheese making kit for Xmas of the in-laws, and having made the basic soft cheese, which turned out very nicely, turned my hand to the Stilton outlined here.
Despite some issus with moulding and shaping ( my cheese now looks like it's gone 10 rounds with Tyson0, it's starting to turn the right shade of blue and is looking good.
However, having tried some of the bits that fell off it, it appreas very rubbery, almost halluomi like, where did I go wrong?
Pressed to heavy, over heated curds (not likely, rennet worked)?
Any advice much appreciated.
Whilst we're at it by the way, how come the outer 10mm of the colander moulded chees fall off after 2 days, conditions too dry???
Cheers!
Oh, yes, at what point should I stick this thing in the fridge, it's a week old now, and bluer than Papa Smurf having impure thoughts about Smurfette.
Lee
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:33 pm

What temperature is the Stilton at, at the moment? I wouldn't worry about early stage rubberiness, leave it and see how it turns out.

What conditions were the colander cheeses stored under?

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Lee » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi, it's at room temp at the moment,, and looks to be doing fine. It was set in the colander under the same conditions. It tastes good, just looks and feels a bit iffy!
Lee
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:59 pm

I would wait till its at least 3 months old, unless it starts getting grey/black mold on it. Post pic if u can :)
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Return to Soft Cheese Making