Emulsified Sausages

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Emulsified Sausages

Postby Reeder » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Does anyone have a definitive method for emulsified sausages using a buffalo chopper(VCM/bowl chopper)? I have made fish mousselines' in a Vitamix (blender) with good results, and I have had good results with chicken in a industrial food processor, but never done anything using my buffalo chopper. I'm looking for any information I can get a hold of. So far what I have read is kind of vague regarding the use of a bowl chopper.
Reed
Reeder
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:56 pm

The following has a couple different procedures:
http://www.kochequipment.com/site/specs ... rofits.pdf

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby Reeder » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:10 pm

Good information.
I noticed they add the fat at the end after they add the 2nd 1/2 of the ice, would this be a step that would benifit other types of sausage, or mainly just sausage produced in this type of equipment?
"Reducing the temperature allows the extracted proteins (mainly myosin) to encapsulatethe fat molecules thus holding them in suspension. Otherwise, you run the risk ofsmearing or fat separating during the cook process (i.e., fat caps)."
Reeder
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:21 pm

As far as other types of sausages go, anything that minimizes the smearing of fat is a good thing, some like to add the fat at the end of mixing for that reason.

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:50 am

DiggingDogFarm wrote:The following has a couple different procedures:
http://www.kochequipment.com/site/specs ... rofits.pdf

~Martin

The only thing I find wrong with this is that they sacrifice quality for profit :cry:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Reeder » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:22 pm

I am looking for high quality. I want highest quality techniques as I try to find the top 10% quality ingredients and enjoy small amounts of top quality foods.
Reeder
Registered Member

Re: Emulsified Sausages

Postby BriCan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:15 pm

Reeder wrote:Does anyone have a definitive method for emulsified sausages using a buffalo chopper(VCM/bowl chopper)? I have made fish mousselines' in a Vitamix (blender) with good results, and I have had good results with chicken in a industrial food processor, but never done anything using my buffalo chopper. I'm looking for any information I can get a hold of. So far what I have read is kind of vague regarding the use of a bowl chopper.
Reed

A question comes to mine, do you know how to make really good bread from scratch??

Reading up on how to use a cutter is one thing but knowing how to use one has to be learned usually from the old ones (sausage makers) as the newer generation have learned the bad habits. :cry:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Reeder » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:42 pm

Are you suggesting the only true way to learn the best is from an old one? I try my best to follow strict guidelines when cooking. I am an apprentice under a chef but sadly for me there is no one in this town that I have met that is an old world charcutier :cry: I have met a couple skilled chefs who I would like to, and may have the opportunity to work with at some point.
Trust me, I understand the importance of each step in a craft. It just seems impossible to find a source to tell me "This is the right way, all other ways are inferior" and really make me believe it. To me there is only one way to make polenta, glace de veau, french a rack of lamb, cook a perfect branzino ect. Im trying to find the only way to make mortadella ect. If its through old world charcutiers, I understand and so be it. I will find a way.
Reeder
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:58 pm

Hi Reeder, welcome to the forum.

I too know how frustrating it is to be told that the only way to do something is by following a course of action that is impossible at the time!

FWIW, the renowned traditional English curer/sausage-maker Maynard Davies used a bowl chopper/cutter to make sausage. In the book where he lists his recipes, most (non-emulsified) sausage seem to follow a similar pattern:

Mince the lean meat (using a mincer/grinder - not the bowl cutter)
Mince the fat (using a mincer/grinder - not the bowl cutter)

Put the lean meat in the bowl chopper. Put the seasoning on top with any filler. Mix and then add the fat and mix again.

Of course they vary. Fillers that set the paste are always added at the end.

I assume that any water content is added (as ice?) during processing.

I have never used a bowl cutter/chopper personally, so can't comment on his method. However, he built a reputation and a good business doing this!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:18 am

Reeder wrote:Are you suggesting the only true way to learn the best is from an old one?

Sorry if it came across wrong as that was not my intention, :oops:

What Martin put up is fine but does not give you the information you are looking for; I assumed (wrongly, again my apologies) that the question would have been answered that I asked but in a roundabout way you have told me (?) that you are well versed in bread making.(again I am assuming)

Using a cutter is somewhat the same as making bread in that when you knead and stretch it you are giving it life so that it will be light and airy but take it too far and it will be tough and possibly a lead sinker. Using a cutter is somewhat the same as one can over stretch the meat and damage the protein binding properties and in doing so can and will ruin the product being made.

Most modern commercial cutters have a revolution counter that counts how many times the bowl has gone round, in the old days we used to put chalk marks on the outside of the bowl. The way to tell if the mixture is at its prime and before the protein is stretched beyond its holding power if you take a scoop of the mixture (while the bowl is running and at the six o’clock position) lift over the bowl turning your hand sideways (this way I and not this --) and let the mixture fall slowly stretching downwards, the longer it stretches the better the holding power and the better your end product. You can use the finger and thumb method, when you handle the meat /mixture to see how far without breaking can you stretch your finger and thumb apart and still keep that thin line of stickiness going.

These are things that are not written down which in a way is a sad thing as a lot of people get frustrated and some give up, I was lucky to learn from an old one and now being an old fa*t myself these are the things that should be passed on. If your cutter has two speeds (fast as well as slow) remember to use the high speed to make up your product --- but use your slow speed (3 to 4 revolutions) to collapse and take the air out of the mixture and this should/will eliminate air bubbles

I hope that this will help in what you need, any questions please ask

Again; sorry for the way my previous answer came across
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Reeder » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Thanks guys!
Phil- I never herd of Maynard Davies; Manual of a Traditional Bacon Curer is now on my wish list.
BriCan- Thanks for the info, this was the stuff I was really looking for. In your previous post I hadn't made the correlation between gluten and the Myosin or actomyosin. As far as making amazing bread... i'm not as well versed in bread making, I can tell how much water to withhold depending on humidity, I know when my bread is worked well (window method, as well as just plain visual texture) when it has proofed ect. But I bread like so many things is something I haven't taken the responsibility of trying to master. I guess I should do that while I try to master Charcuterie, at least I'm young and have a life time to mess up and learn.
Side note, as I was building a curing chamber last sunday out of a minifridge I hit a copper line while drilling!!! I was very upset and now i'm afraid to buy a full sized fridge. Even $50 is a hefty chunk to me; I have a wife, child, house payment, and school. Anyone have tips on how NOT to ruin a fridge while drilling? I have 30 lbs of donated pork loin that I need to hang ASAP!
Reeder
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:40 pm

Thank you for your insights BriCan, I don't mind learning from an old one. :D Here's my questions, most of us do not have bowl choppers. My wife would want to run me through it if I bought one. At home I use a food processor to make emulsified sausage (only tried once) and I ran it at it's only speed, high, threw ice in to keep the paste cold, and stopped when it looked OK. From your description of the action of the bowl chopper, it sounds to me as if I should have followed that with a pass through the sausage grinder to deflate the air, is that right? Do you think it is better for home producers to try multiple passes through the sausage grinder instead of chancing the timing of food processors? Should we run the food processor in short bursts and check the paste for extension?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby BriCan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:03 pm

NCPaul wrote:Thank you for your insights BriCan, I don't mind learning from an old one. :D Here's my questions, most of us do not have bowl choppers. My wife would want to run me through it if I bought one. At home I use a food processor to make emulsified sausage (only tried once) and I ran it at it's only speed, high, threw ice in to keep the paste cold, and stopped when it looked OK. From your description of the action of the bowl chopper, it sounds to me as if I should have followed that with a pass through the sausage grinder to deflate the air, is that right? Do you think it is better for home producers to try multiple passes through the sausage grinder instead of chancing the timing of food processors? Should we run the food processor in short bursts and check the paste for extension?

I see another expense coming on, :lol: -- let me look into this as I need to try sum'ert before I shoot myself in the foot :shock:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:38 pm

Just FYI with some careful monitoring of temperatures I have successfully emulsified sausages using the paddle attachment of a stand mixer on high speed.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby RodinBangkok » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:19 pm

To the original point there are a lot of variables when emulsifying I think one good source for this type info is here:

http://www.meatingplace.com/Industry/Te ... ails/10043

You will need to register to view content.

I don't really see any advantage to run the emulsified blend thru a grinder again, but thats personal opinion, not based on any experience, I'm not sure you'd see any improvement versus using a compression type stuffer.

For small batches you could always use a simple vacuum chamber. If you have a small vacuum pump, you can use a pressure cooker. I use a small vacuum pump designed mostly for refrigeration applications.

Anyway there are lots of good technical articles at the site I listed above.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Next

Return to Sausage Making Techniques