Need help please.

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Need help please.

Postby Cayenneman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:24 pm

I am going to smoke my first batch of andouille using cure. I've smoked it without cure before at 200°or above to good results. I've never used cure before and want to make sure nobody gets sick. If someone can please critique this technique and answer some questions, I'd appreciate it!

Andouille
5# Pork (I prefer a Boston Butt) Trimmed of tough connective tissue and cut into 2 inch cubes.

Combine the following in a bowl:
2 tsp of Cayenne or to taste
1 Tbsp Paprika
1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Garlic
1/8 Cup Fresh Ground Black Pepper
3 Tbsp Kosher Salt
1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme leaves, chopped
1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
1 level tsp Cure #1
1/2 Cup Ice Water

Question 1. Recipe says used powdered milk as a binder. Is this necessary?

Grind meat thru coarse grind plate. Mix seasonings and cure in ice water and mix thouroughly in meat. Fry a patty and test for seasoning.

Question 2. If you mix thoroughly, is there still a chance there will be a pocket of meat that doesn't get cured and can let bacteria set up?

Refrigerate meat overnite with a damp towel on top to allow gases to escape.
Stuff meat into casings and hang overnite in fridge.

Question 3. Do they have to hang in the fridge? Can they be laid out on dish towels or is the hanginging part of the drying process?

Next day, hang someplace cool in the house and blow dry with a fan for about an hour to dry casings.

Question 4. Is this safe to hang at room temp?

Smoke at 130° F for 2 hours, then increased the heat to 165° F for another 2 1/2 hours, refreshing the wood chips as needed. The trick here, is to get as much smoke flavor into the sausage before it is actually cooked through, and too hot of a temperature will render the fat out of your sausage. Controll the temp by the number of coals, and keeping them piled up and pushed to one side. When you spread your coals out the temperature will increase. Add more coals to reach the 165° mark.

The internal temperature of the sausage should read 160° F on an instant read thermometer. Remove at this point and immediately spray with cold water. Hang at room temperature in front of a fan for 1 hour then refrigerate overnight, uncovered.

That's they way I'm gonna try it. Correct any of these steps if necessary please and answer the questions if you can. Thanks very much![/u]
Cayenneman
Registered Member

Postby johngaltsmotor » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:55 pm

If you have made it without cure and noone got sick then with cure you should have no problems. Cure just helps to kill the worst of the nasty bacteria (cl. botulinum) which like to multiply at lower smoking temperatures.

1) the powdered milk really does help to glue things together

2) if you mix thoroughly the cure will disperse throughout. Even if particles are not dispersed, when it dissolves into the moisture of the meat it will spread due to osmotic pressure (attempt to achieve a uniform concentration of cure in water)

3) they don't necessary need to hang, it is the resting in a cool environment - this helps the surface dry and continues the curing process - but do not set them on a towel, make sure air can circulate around them, use a baking rack if you can't hang them.

4) most recipes recommend no more than an hour at room temperature as the nasty bacteria start to multiple rapidly

As far as everything else, I'd watch the temperature close - after sitting for 2 hours in 130F I would be surprised if it takes 2.5 hours to reach 160F.

Good Luck!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby Cayenneman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks johngaltsmotor!!!
Cayenneman
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques