Using rusk instead of breadcrumb

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Using rusk instead of breadcrumb

Postby SteveW » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:11 pm

I normally use breadcrumbs in my basic pork sausage but decided to give rusk a try on my next batch (just to save the hassle of making the breadcrumbs) and was wondering what the main difference would be? Do I need to use more water with rusk or is it just a case seeing how the mix is? Also, I've been using 10% breadcrumb but I'm now thinking of reducing this down to 5% (rusk) to give a meatier sausage. My results so far have been variable to say the least, some having great flavour but poor texture or good texture but lacking in flavour and the odd batch I've absolutely nailed it with everyone raving about how good they were. I've used the same recipe each time (although the quantities have varied from 1kg to 5kg) so can only think it's been down to the mixing. Any thoughts or opinions would be gratefully received.
SteveW
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:01 pm

The ratio of breadcrumbs to water is usually 1:1 whereas for rusk it would be between 1.5:1 and 2:1. I use 1.5:1 with homemade rusk, commercially prepared will probably take more.

In altering your recipe I'd look at weight of the total water and breadcrumbs in the existing recipe and work back to give the same weight but with rusk and water. So, for example, if you currently have 10gm crumbs and 10gm water = 20gm this would become 8gm rusk and 12gm water which still = 20gm. That way the spicing etc won't change.

As to texture, you need to mix the (very cold) meat mixture very well to allow the salt in it to develop something called myosin in the meat - this turns, what is, flavoured mince into sausage-meat. The meat will become sticky and even smell slightly different. However, don't go too mad - you can over mix leading to a very tight textured sausage.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby SteveW » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:14 pm

Thanks phil,
It is commercial rusk I'll be using, from a local butcher. Are you saying commercial rusk will need more water or more rusk in the ratio? As I said I'm going to reduce the amount of filler (rusk in this case) down to 5% so should I add 7.5% water as 2.5% doesn't sound enough.

I think the problem with my mixing was when I stepped up the amounts.....The meat is just off freezing (Ihave to wear gloves) and 5kg takes a lot of mixing by hand and the stuffing even longer so I may just stick to smaller batches until I decide to upgrade to a better grinder and dedicated stuffer. Thanks again.
Steve
SteveW
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:24 pm

Yes, go for 7.5%. The water needs to be 1½ to 2 times the weight of the water.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby SteveW » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:57 am

Finished these today and even without blooming in the fridge overnight they're easily the best I've made yet.. Possibly the best English Pork sauasge I've ever had. Is it wrong to get excited over meat????? I feel like a kid at christmas. Time to open a bottle of red :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SteveW
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:25 pm

Wow! Result! Yes, crack a bottle of the finest and we'll all be round! :lol: :lol:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby SteveW » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:48 pm

Thanks for the advice Phil. I went with 5% rusk and 7.5% water, it seemed a little on the stiff side but I went with it anyway and was pleased that I did. I made sure it was mixed until sticky even though I had to keep stopping to let my hands recover. I have a handheld electric whisk that has a dough hook so i might try using that next time.
SteveW
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques