Dark mold

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Dark mold

Postby italoafro » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:22 am

Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum and would like some opinion on the mold which has formed on my salami. I have made 3 types "Sopressata, Diavolini" and salami sticks.
My concern is the color of the mold....The salami sticks are the only ones which have pepper and it seems that the mold has only just begun to form. I couldn't see this initially but the photo with flash made me notice small white specks beginning to form. This is day 7.
BTW the smell is great!

italoafro
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:01 am

The colour's not an issue for me, the 'furryness' (for want of better words) is always worrying, but is normal in the very early stages.

I think it's a case of leaving well alone and seeing how it progresses.

However, you don't say what temperature and humidity level they're in? That could change my view entirely.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby italoafro » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:46 am

Hi Phil

I am using a slightly modified Cigar Humidor for fermentation, temperature 15°C and the RH 90%. I know that this RH is a little high but I am unable to reduce it. So far I have tried coarse salt with rice but the readings have remained the same for several days.....perhaps faulty hygrometer?..... The "inside back wall" of the humidor is made of aluminium on to which the humidity condenses and then drains out the back. The condensation is usually visible.

I have since wiped them down with a vinegar/water solution (the humidor too)

Fernando
italoafro
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:07 pm

90% humidity would scare me (other than in the fermentation stage). If it doesn't go down when a tray of dry salt is put in it for a few hours I'd check your hygrometer.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby italoafro » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:14 am

Hi Phil

I have tried other hygrometers and they all seem to give a similar reading...I moved the salami to an air-conditioned room (15°c and RH 75%) for two days. I allowed the humidor to dry out completely and then put the salami back in.....after a short while the humidity started to climb again and settled at 85% RH. I used the same hygrometer for both measurements....my conclusion is that the cigar humidor is the problem...I suppose it is doing what its supposed to do..i.e. to keep cigars from drying out.
The humidor is not suitable for curing however, once the salami is almost ready, it is a handy item to have if you want to slow down the curing process for a while longer instead of vacuum sealing and refrigerating to stop further drying out.
...well I dont smoke cigars so I have an expensive humidor/wine cooler which looks fancy but doesn't really do the job....I obviously have not shared this information with my wife who felt that this was an unjustified purchase. :roll:

BTW I am doing this in Southern China where average year round humidity is in excess of 80%

Fernando
italoafro
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:44 am

italoafro wrote:BTW I am doing this in Southern China where average year round humidity is in excess of 80%

It's like pulling hens teeth sometimes :lol: :lol: :lol:

vital information is kept back until the last possible moment :)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:46 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Given "an air-conditioned room (15°c and RH 75%)", I can't see why there should be an issue - I'd just hang them in that room.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:27 pm

wheels wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Given "an air-conditioned room (15°c and RH 75%)", I can't see why there should be an issue - I'd just hang them in that room.

This is what I do :D :D

The one thing to remember is that you still need that (gentle) air flow :wink:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques