Cacciatore Storing

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Cacciatore Storing

Postby mykafone » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:56 pm

You may of seen my other post last month where I butchered my first batch of Cacciatore. Well I made major adjustments to my curing chamber and gave it another whirl. WAY BETTER!

The recipe I used called for 80RH for drying, but going off advice from an expirenced sausage maker I bumped it down to a 70-75RH range

What should of taken 6-8 weeks to achive 30-35% loss, was acutally more like 40% in 3.5 weeks..

So Im done, but way early... Now What????????

I want to hand them out at the end of the month as xmas presents if they dont kill me or tast bad(which they dont-i sample)

Storage option.. The 3 main ideas I see are..

vac-pac - ok but lacks old world soul
lard - not attractive
wrapping in freezer paper - this seems like the best bet for me, but im slightly worried about more drying..

Thoughts?

Thanks - I own my success to these pages!
mykafone
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:42 am

Mykafone, your cured sausage looks great, congratulations! If you're giving it out as a gift but are wanting it to look 'rustic', then why not preserve it by doing a vacuum pack for the interim period, then pull it out and wrap it nicely in butcher's paper when the time comes to hand it out.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby mykafone » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:08 am

I like it.. Thanks for the idea..
mykafone
Registered Member

Postby mykafone » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:04 am

So I vac packed the salami, but after 2 days the vacuum redistributed the moisture destroying my beautiful while mold on the surface.. When I noticed this I quickly openend em up and rehung them to dry.

Im a little bummed out right now. They looked so beautiful but now that snowy white mold looks like yellow goo..

Am I doing the right thing? Will they recover?
mykafone
Registered Member

Postby SmokenDevo » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:22 am

Why would you take them out of the chamber? The 30-35% loss is just the minimal loss before you try it. It would have just got better with age in your curing chamber. I have had some in my chamber 4 months after it reached a 30-35% loss.

This is at 30-35% loss

And this is after 4 months and i don't have a clue what the percentage was at but it was even better tasting.
SmokenDevo
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques