snack sticks

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

snack sticks

Postby mudflap620v » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:58 am

I'm planning on making a batch of teriyaki snack sticks and haven't worked with the collagen casings a whole lot.After stuffing the casings can you link them like you do the natural casings or do you need a different approach?
mudflap620v
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:16 am

Collagens won't link, I tie them off with string.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:26 am

The first time I made snacksticks with 19 and 21 mm collagen casings I just filled the casings and snipped them with a pair of scissors to the lenght I wanted.
Put them in the fridge overnight. Lay them on racks if you smoke them.
Larger collagen casing you will have to tie with butchers string.
Good Luck.
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby mudflap620v » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:13 pm

Thanks,I'll try that then.It sounds quite a bit more time consuming than the natural casings.They'll have to be hung in the smoker since I don't have any racks to lay them on.Thanks again.
mudflap620v
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:16 pm

not sure how much you're making but it doesn't take long to tie off a batch.

Depending on your smoker tie both ends of a 4-5 foot link and fold it in half over your smoke stick, then cut to the size you like after they finished cooking
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:47 pm

I agree with DanMcG. Also, if you're going to bake them off instead of smoke you can twist them into a link the length of your sheet tray then fold it 180º, run the other direction, twist, etc...etc... As noted they won't hold a twist in series but nestled so they can't untwist worked for me.

Also, one trick I found is that I cut the casing into 1/3s before putting it on the horn. I found out the hard way that the whole thing wouldn't thread on like the standard hog casings and was a headache.

Lastly, because you're not going to eliminate underfilled casing through linking make sure to stuff them full because you can't prick them to release air bubbles. (another lesson messily learned)
JerBear
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques