Why does store-bought breakfast sausage cook up brown?

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Why does store-bought breakfast sausage cook up brown?

Postby Ned Buntline » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:01 pm

Okay, stupid and irrelevant question of the week - and my first here at the forum for an auspicious beginning:

Why does store-bought breakfast sausage like Jimmy Dean or Bob Evans cook up brown, where home-made fresh breakfast sausage cooks up white (as you would expect)?

I never gave it much thought until one of my little ones told me that my sausage "doesn't look normal."

Anyone know???
Ned Buntline
Newly Registered

Postby Oddwookiee » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:54 pm

Most likely answer is a lot of sugar thrown in for flavor, and God only knows what other proteins are on the surface when the Maillard reaction sets in. Short answer: it's mostly garbage anyway. Make your own :)
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:09 am

Agreeing with Oddwookie, I remember looking at the ingredients on Johnsonville Bratwurst one time and noticing dextrose in it; it promotes browning but leaves a slightly sweet taste.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby crustyo44 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:26 am

I agree with Oddwookie, it will be a sweetener, either sugar or dextrose.
Ready made sausage mixes have it as a standard ingredient here according to a well respected charcuterie friend of mine.
Ned, you might have to re-educate your little ones and don't forget to tell them also that milk comes from cow and not a carton.
Cheers Mate,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby RodinBangkok » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:25 am

If its from large commercial producer it most likely browns due to additives or browning agents. I suspect they would sell that particular product as microwavable, and for that you need to have special browning agents, they vary as to whether they have flavor or not, and you can even apply them by spraying....ever see some of the frozen burger patties already grill marked...think they are really grill marked, think again, browning agents at work one example company I'm familiar with that are experts in this technology.

http://www.redarrowusa.com/application_ ... spray.html
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby goslats » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:39 pm

I add a little sugar to help with browning, but not enough to sweeten it. Also try frying in butter it will help brown nicely.
goslats
Registered Member

Re: Why does store-bought breakfast sausage cook up brown?

Postby vagreys » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:01 pm

Ned Buntline wrote:...Why does store-bought breakfast sausage like Jimmy Dean or Bob Evans cook up brown, where home-made fresh breakfast sausage cooks up white (as you would expect)?...

For the brands mentioned, the ingredient lists include corn syrup and dextrose, both of which will brown in the pan. Many home recipes for American bulk breakfast sausage call for a little sugar for browning (and a touch of sweetness). Dextrose is less sweet than table sugar, but browns just as well.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Re: Why does store-bought breakfast sausage cook up brown?

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:13 pm

vagreys wrote:
Ned Buntline wrote:...Why does store-bought breakfast sausage like Jimmy Dean or Bob Evans cook up brown, where home-made fresh breakfast sausage cooks up white (as you would expect)?...

For the brands mentioned, the ingredient lists include corn syrup and dextrose, both of which will brown in the pan. Many home recipes for American bulk breakfast sausage call for a little sugar for browning (and a touch of sweetness). Dextrose is less sweet than table sugar, but browns just as well.

X2

Corn Syrup and Dextrose = Reducing Sugars.
Reducing sugars have excellent browning properties.

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby goslats » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:55 am

Doesn't even need to be anything fancy. A bit of table sugar for browning (sucrose). About 1/3 - 1/2 teaspoon per pound will brown nice without adding a sweetened flavor. You have to work on temps. A sausage patty has a greater surface area than a link. Hit it hot, and again butter works well for browning. Please report back and keep us informed! Thanks
goslats
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:09 am

goslats wrote:Doesn't even need to be anything fancy. A bit of table sugar for browning (sucrose). About 1/3 - 1/2 teaspoon per pound will brown nice without adding a sweetened flavor. You have to work on temps. A sausage patty has a greater surface area than a link. Hit it hot, and again butter works well for browning. Please report back and keep us informed! Thanks

That'll work to a certain extent, but a reducing sugar is especially useful in encouraging the Maillard Reaction...easy browning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques