leaf lard vs. back fat

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

leaf lard vs. back fat

Postby Brian P. Miller » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:14 am

Will leaf lard behave acceptably when ground as an additive for lean meat sausages or do i need to use back fat specifically. Gonna make merguez this week and i have plenty of leaf lard. Thanks, B.
Brian P. Miller
Newly Registered

Postby Big Guy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:27 pm

No leaf lard has been processed it won't work.
Col. Big Guy
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:06 pm

Yes and no- if you can get raw leaf lard straight off the carcass, it is passable but not preferred, If you do use it, make sure it hasn't been worked at all and is still in the hanging form, sometimes with the kidney. Back fat is still preferred, though.

The softer texture of leaf lard can be a good thing, if you're looking for a sausage with a little less tooth, or want the fat so cook through the meat quicker. It's a worthwhile experiment if you want to mess with it.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:11 pm

Big Guy wrote:No leaf lard has been processed it won't work.

Beg to differ sir, leaf lard is not processed it comes from the lining of the belly and around the kidneys and can be used in some sausage mix but not all
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby the chorizo kid » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:34 pm

i would not suggest leaf lard for any sausage made to be heated, as the lard will melt out of the meat, and affect the taste/texture adversely. i also think it not a processed product. i think it is most often used in making pastry, as the little chunks of leaf lard act just like little chunks of butter. they melt and separate the rolled dough into layers of flaky pastry.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby tommix » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:41 pm

Well fellas, I just learned something; I had always thought that lard was a processed product as well and fat was an unprocessed product. Anyway here is what Wikipedia says.

"Lard can be obtained from any part of the pig as long as there is a high concentration of fatty tissue. The highest grade of lard, known as leaf lard, is obtained from the "flare" visceral fat deposit surrounding the kidneys and inside the loin. Leaf lard has little pork flavor, making it ideal for use in baked goods, where it is valued for its ability to produce flaky, moist pie crusts. The next highest grade of lard is obtained from fatback, the hard subcutaneous fat between the back skin and muscle of the pig. The lowest grade (for purposes of rendering into lard) is obtained from the soft caul fat surrounding digestive organs, such as small intestines, though caul fat is often used directly as a wrapping for roasting lean meats or in the manufacture of pâtés."

Melting point backfat: 30–40 °C (86–104 °F)
leaf fat: 43–48 °C (109–118 °F)
mixed fat: 36–45 °C (97–113
I was surprised to see that backfat had a lower melting point than leaf fat.
tommix
Registered Member

Postby Vindii » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:08 pm

Does leaf lard need to be rendered like regular lard before its used for baking? Or is it used as is?
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:59 pm

I'd render it- there's a thin membrane around the folds that would be unpleasant in pastry, I'd expect. It's super fine, to the point that it gets almost 'crispy' when the carcass has been hanging for a few days and it dries out, but it's nothing I'd want in pie crust.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Best to call it 'flare fat' to save any confusion with rendered lard. I think it can be used in black pudding to give a richness to the meat without leaving the visual cubes found when using back-fat.
Don't forget though - If you ask for 'lard' in France, you will be given bacon, so with all the international recipes found on here, lets hope nothing is lost in translation :shock:
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:12 am

In my family, the fat was always called 'flare' or 'flare fat'. It was only called 'lard' if rendered, and it wasn't called 'leaf lard'. My great-grandmother kept a separate spring-lid jar of lard just for pie crusts. I didn't read about 'leaf' until I got into sausage making.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby BriCan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:24 pm

This from my mate who still is a CFIA officer -- did his training same time as I and comes from Devon

I asked the question "what do we call the fat that lays against the belly'

His typical reply (I think Wheels and a couple of others may have seen some of his reply's) "Bull Shit, you have forgotten more than they will ever know" ( :shock: ) "Leaf fat. that is where pure lard comes from."

We was trained (UK) in this terminology as it would/dose look like a leaf

As we can see, different parts of the world call the same thing by different names
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Re: leaf lard vs. back fat

Postby zerocrop69 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:11 am

I would like to know does anyone know the smoke points of different types of pork lard?
zerocrop69
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques