Color Coding Hank Rings?

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Color Coding Hank Rings?

Postby JerBear » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:27 pm

I just got some different sized casings from a new supplier and there were two differences. Normally I've been using a larger 40-42 mm casing but wanted more links/lb so went to a smaller casing. With the larger casings the ring the casing was tied around was blue plastic with a tab. The smaller casings (I was not provided a size, just told medium) had a yellow ring that also had a tab and I figured that was just the sizing but there was also a gold colored ring without a tab and I wasn't sure of the significance of that. Quality?
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Details of the normal colour coding of casings can be found here:

http://www.fao.org/docrep/010/ai407e/AI407E20.htm

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby JerBear » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:02 pm

Wish it did but it seems more contradictory. I don't know if the ones listed as dual colors (i.e. yellow/white) means that either yellow or white could be used or if it's striped. I have to go home and measure the sausages to get a better idea of the links. Funny thing was the larger ones I was using with the blue ring said 40-42 mm, go figure..

Thanks Wheels!
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:05 am

Doh!

I know that there's something on the forum that gives the details. But, for the life of me, I can't find it.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby JerBear » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:52 am

Thanks Phil,

I called a place called Oversea Casing Company which is where my local purveyor might have gotten the casings from. The salesperson, Mike, was very nice and this is what he was able to tell me. The blue rings are definitely the larger casings, however, the yellow and gold were a mystery. He said that there's not standard color coding method and when he checked his database he saw that yellow had come in with sizes ranging from 28-30mm all the way up to 38-40mm. Had no idea about the gold one though.

I'm going to keep looking around and asking questions and I'll report back if/when I learn anything new.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:08 am

JerBear wrote:I called a place called Oversea Casing Company which is where my local purveyor might have gotten the casings from. The salesperson, Mike, was very nice and this is what he was able to tell me. The blue rings are definitely the larger casings, however, the yellow and gold were a mystery. He said that there's not standard color coding method and when he checked his database he saw that yellow had come in with sizes ranging from 28-30mm all the way up to 38-40mm. Had no idea about the gold one though.

I will give them a shout later today Color coding on the rings have been changing, I believe it is to standardize --- I could be wrong.

If we are talking hog casings 29/32 are white rings -- 42+ are pink (changed from white and green rings)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:14 pm

JerBear wrote:Thanks Phil,

I called a place called Oversea Casing Company which is where my local purveyor might have gotten the casings from.

I'm going to keep looking around and asking questions and I'll report back if/when I learn anything new.

Ok sorry it took so long ... it's not like I had anything to do this last week .... :shock: :roll:

Ayway made a call to my local (sorry, not the pub :cry: ) and got to talk to the big man himself Bill Leathem Oversea Casing Company Manager (have been dealing with them/him since 1988)

The following are for hog casings

Yellow 29/32
Green 32/35
Red 35/38
White 38/40
Blue 40/42
Pink 42/45
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:35 pm

I usually get 35/38.
The ones that I get have a blue ring.

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:46 pm

DiggingDogFarm wrote:I usually get 35/38.
The ones that I get have a blue ring.

~Martin

if you are getting your casings from (in a roundabout way or .... ) from Oversea Casing Company and your 35/38 are blue it can only mean one thing ..........

It's becuz you are on the East Coast and therefore 'colder' hence the 'Blue' ring.

Whereas JerBear and I are on the West Coast and therefore in the warmer (Hotter) hence ours are 'Red'

I know ... got my coat and brolly ...... leaving toot sweet

:lol:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:03 am

Makes sense to me!!! :wink:
It is a bit cooler here, -10C currently!

~Martin :D
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:47 am

Anything on the gold ring?
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:29 am

JerBear wrote:Anything on the gold ring?

no one has said anything as yet -- will ask again
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques