what to do with a broken emulsified sausage?

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

what to do with a broken emulsified sausage?

Postby johngaltsmotor » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:18 pm

Okay, I'm thinking of venturing into new territory this weekend by trying Phil's Mortadella recipe. I know that rule #1 is to keep everything cold, but...

I've never tried an emulsified sausage so my questions are:
1) aside from adding a bit of non-fat dry milk (I've read up to 3%) what can you do if it starts to break? Will simply getting it cold again and mixing it revive it? I'm going to have to do multiple small batches due to the size of the food processor so can one batch be re-chilled and add a little to the next few batches? will it re-emulsify?
2) if it does break and can't be revived... what is the best way to use it? simply convert it into a batch of ??(what kind of sausage)??

Not that I'm expecting to have problems, but I would rather prepare a backup plan just in case things go wrong. It is more productive than shooting from the hip when things don't go as planned.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Re: what to do with a broken emulsified sausage?

Postby BriCan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:14 pm

johngaltsmotor wrote:Okay, I'm thinking of venturing into new territory this weekend by trying Phil's Mortadella recipe. I know that rule #1 is to keep everything cold, but...

I've never tried an emulsified sausage so my questions are:
1) aside from adding a bit of non-fat dry milk (I've read up to 3%) what can you do if it starts to break? Will simply getting it cold again and mixing it revive it? I'm going to have to do multiple small batches due to the size of the food processor so can one batch be re-chilled and add a little to the next few batches? will it re-emulsify?

If doing multiple small batches then combining all at the end to mix together by hand ~~ just remember not to over mix as you will have problems with the meat breaking and not binding

2) if it does break and can't be revived... what is the best way to use it? simply convert it into a batch of ??(what kind of sausage)??

Sort answer is no it can't be revived. Its like an elastic band ~~ once broken there is no way to put it back together :( It will be still editable but not exactly what it should have been

Not that I'm expecting to have problems, but I would rather prepare a backup plan just in case things go wrong. It is more productive than shooting from the hip when things don't go as planned.

Back up plan is eating something that is 'slightly' different than what it should have turned out to be :lol: :lol:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:12 pm

My advice?

Take it steady.
Take it slow; when the meat's in the freezer you don't need to rush.
Monitor temperature; you won't have a problem if it's kept cold enough.
If things look scary, add some crushed ice!

Other than that, enjoy.
I can't see you having a problem, 'cos you've planned it well.

I love making emulsified sausage. OK, you have to be methodical, but nothing's difficult, and the results are superb.

Luncheon meats are the most under-rated of the sausages, but made well, give a real sense of achievement.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johngaltsmotor » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:26 am

Thanks guys. I know that whatever happens it will still be safe to eat so I'm not scared, just want to make sure I'm as prepared as I can be.
Being an engineer I sometimes choose to do more difficult things just to prove to myself that I can: this is one of those cases.

Plus I just automated an antique National Specialty #2 (c 1908) by using a gear reducer and the motor off a broken cordless drill. I decided since it's a new system I'd go whole hog (pun intended) and try a new recipe also.
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:59 pm

My backup plan usually involves a case of beer.

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:54 pm

captain wassname wrote:My backup plan usually involves a case of beer.

Jim

You have to love it when a plan comes together ........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby johngaltsmotor » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:04 pm

Normally mine involves a keg but the homebrew ran out last week. This weekend is sausage, maybe next weekend the fermenting beer will be ready to carbonate and already it's time to brew again. With needing to brew every 3 weeks it doesn't leave much free time for making sausage.

Life is a tasty circle.
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby johngaltsmotor » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:52 am

Well, as the home brewers always say "relax, don't worry, have a homebrew".

Thanks to the detailed instructions of Wheels mortadella recipe things went great. I may have under emulsified things a bit (out of fear of breaking) but both the mortadella (sans pistachios) and the hotdogs turned out great. Also a few pockets in the mortadella from using crushed ice - next time I'll stick to just ice cold water.

My biggest issue was that my antique vertical stuffer doesn't use a gasket for the top plate. Emulsions are thin enough that I had to stuff 3 times because each time 1/2 would end up in the casings and 1/2 would squeeze out the top. Time to modify the top plate to hold an o-ring in place.

I'll definitely be experimenting with emulsions again in the future.
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:08 pm

I'm so glad it worked out OK and that you found my instructions helpful.

I take no credit for the recipe, it came to me via Jason Molinari who I understand got it from a book by Paul Bertolli: no doubt it's had a few tweaks on the way!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Sausage Making Techniques