Best way to separate links..?

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Best way to separate links..?

Postby JerBear » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:08 am

Normally I use a knife of a clear pair of scissors when separating links for storage. I was showing someone today how to make sausage and they asked why the links don't open up on the end after being separated. My response was that a) I like to put a little extra spin in to lengthen the amount of casing between links which seems to hold better and b) I let the sausages sit overnight before separating which dries out the casing a little and helps it to hold. That said, neither is foolproof and it's not terribly uncommon for there to be a little leak.

Another friend listening in suggested something that his grandfather taught him which is to use a heated/hot knife or scissors for the cutting which will actually cauterize the casing and seal it. Does anyone have any experience with this, tried it before or dare I say have an opinion on the matter?

Thanks!

edit: referring to fresh sausages here, nothing dried or cooked in any way.....
JerBear
Registered Member

Re: Best way to separate links..?

Postby vagreys » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:28 pm

I'm dubious about that explanation. To actually cauterize and "seal" the casing, the blade would have to be quite hot and stay quite hot. Something as thin as a knife blade loses heat very quickly. In my experience, drying for even an hour is enough to keep natural cased links closed, and I've seen collagen-cased links stay closed immediatley after stuffing and then linking through a Z-linker. I use natural casing, and prefer to dry sausages in the refrigerator overnight, when possible, though sometimes I have to put the sausages directly into the freezer.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby JerBear » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:30 am

I also like an overnight rest and have found that they normally hold fairly well after that. I also agree with the cauterizing. Additionally, the amount of heat would likely destroy the temper on a knife blade of scissor blade. Thanks for the info!
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby bwalt822 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:24 pm

I usually cut mine a few minutes after twisting and as long as you don't squeeze them they hold fine.
bwalt822
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques