can someone offer some advice on how to "de fluff" my emulsi

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

can someone offer some advice on how to "de fluff" my emulsi

Postby cutlass1972 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:44 pm

I make a sausage fairly often that is akin to mortadella. I use a Ninja food processor to get the texture of the met and fat fine enough. The problem I have is in the end I have something akin to a mousse. After I poach my sausage it has a spongy sort of texture. I have thought about using my foodsaver to vacuum the air out of the mixture but am unsure this will work.
cutlass1972
Registered Member

Re: can someone offer some advice on how to "de fluff" my em

Postby DanMcG » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:27 pm

The spongy might be from over working the meat, But that's more of a rubbery texture. The pros who chop with a buffalo chopper will cut and mix on high then reduce the speed to low for a bit to remove the air. I can't offer anymore then that. good luck.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:31 pm

All I can suggest is to emulate what the pros do and stir it with a spoon to try to 'let the air out'.

I've had similar, although maybe not to the same extent:

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=648

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby RodinBangkok » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:12 am

Those blenders are are way too fast in a small area to use for meat emulsions, but I'd try pulsing it on a lower speed and mix it with a spoon or something between pulses. They set up a vortex that will just spin the contents and force air into the mix. You could use vacuum, a lot of very high end bowl cutters are vacuum capable, but used mostly to insure very consistent batch consistency. Best to pulse slow to keep from developing a vortex and mix mix mix.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby EnriqueB » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Haven't tried it, but have read in some texts that emulsified sausages are better processed in three steps: first chop the most lean meat with one third of the almost-frozen liquid, then add the remaining meat with one more third of the almost-frozen liquid, and only then add and chop the fat with the final one third of almost-frozen liquid. Maybe this helps, but just speculating.
EnriqueB
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:16 pm

The last time I made hot dogs I ran the meat and fat through the grinder four times chilling between passes. I would suggest using the grinder more so the meat has the least amount of time in the processor.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby cutlass1972 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:09 pm

I think you guys are right. Too fast. Man, I wish I could afford a buffalo chopper. I am going to have to experiment. I have just been adding semi frozen chunks of meat to my ninja, and pureeing to a paste. I wonder if a few passes through my grinder then pulses in the ninja would be better? Maybe just 4 passes through the grinder as previously mentioned.
cutlass1972
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:43 pm

I always grind the meat first - 3 grinds through progressively smaller plates down to a 4.5mm plate (a 3mm would be better) for the last grind. Only then do I use the food processor (Magimix).

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby JerBear » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:46 am

For a vacuum to work you might need to use a chamber sealer, I'm not sure that a standard vacuum will have the power to do what you're looking for.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:03 am

Cutlass,
I make Dutch Rookworst on a regular basis now and NOW only uses my # 22 grinder with a 3mm plate.I mince everything beforehand through a 6 mm plate, mix in the spices and cure etc, Than mince once through a 3 mm plate and semi freeze this in chunks that fit through the mincer inlet, than again through the 3 mm plate and fill the casings.
This results in the consistency of a slightly courser frankfurt mix.
I used to vitamise but didn't like the end result.
My 2 cents worth.
Good Luck,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby This Little Piggy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:00 pm

As JerBear says, a vacuum sealer will work to extract the air bubbles from your mortadella mix and make it denser, but you will need a chamber sealer, ie one that pulls air from the entire chamber and not just air from the bag as a FoodSaver does.

This technique can be great for achieving a denser texture in a pâté. Instead of putting a board on top of the pâté pan and weighting it down with cans, etc, you can just vacuum-seal it in a chamber unit and use the atmospheric pressure to compress it.
"Nothing exceeds like excess."

<a href="http://www.thislittlepiggy.us" target="_blank">This Little Piggy's blog</a>
This Little Piggy
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques