First Time Smoking

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

First Time Smoking

Postby Meat » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:55 pm

I hope to make some smoked venison sausage in the coming weeks. I've been doing a lot of reading, but I have a few questions.

1. I bought pink salt a few years ago -- should I assume it's still good to use?

2. Can I make/stuff the sausage one day and then hold it overnight in the fridge before smoking it?

3. Any tips on using a Weber Bullet Smoker for smoking sausage?

Thanks!
Meat
Registered Member

Re: First Time Smoking

Postby Tasso » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:28 pm

About the pink salt, see Cure #1 turned white and Product Shelf Life. I have pink salt that is four years old, and it seems to be as fully active as ever. If you've kept it sealed and completely free of moisture, it's probably fine. It lasts a long time. If in doubt, buy fresh.

With the caveat that I'm a very much a novice and not at all knowledgeable when it comes to making sausage, most recipes and/or processes for smoked sausages that I've encountered say to hang them in the fridge or in the smoke house overnight to let the casings dry before smoking them.
Tasso
Registered Member

Re: First Time Smoking

Postby NCPaul » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:25 pm

It's tricky trying to keep the temperatures down in a WSM. I would try a very small charcoal pile and some water in the bowl. Keep the top vent open and pinch the bottom three down.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Sausage Making Techniques