Substitute for Pennyroyal?

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Re: Substitute for Pennyroyal?

Postby wheels » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:54 pm

Blimey, I've proved myself wrong so many times in this thread that it's a wonder that I've not chocked on umble pie!

I've just found this info in "The Encyclopedia of Herbs and Herbalism" (published 1989), a tome compiled by what looks like anyone who is anyone in this field. It says:

Although long considered an abortifacient, it has been found that this effect is usually only possible with a dose of oil which is highly toxic and leads to irreversible kidney damage.

It goes on to say:

The plant can therefore be used as a flavouring agent, but only when the concentration of pulegone does not exceed 20mg in 1kg of the final product being flavoured.

It goes on to say that the volatile oil is 0.5% - 1% of the herb and that pulegone is 80% - 90% of this.

In a worst case scenario 2g per kg should still be OK. FWIW, Maynard Davies' Lancashire recipe uses 0.54g per kg. Finney's recipes (1930's) are much higher.

(Of course, this assumes that the 1989 info hasn't been superceded)

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:27 pm

wheels wrote:In a worst case scenario 2g per kg should still be OK. FWIW, Maynard Davies' Lancashire recipe uses 0.54g per kg. Finney's recipes (1930's) are much higher.

(Of course, this assumes that the 1989 info hasn't been superceded)

Phil

Good to hear, I was at a small nursery last week in Grange over Sands and I picked up a small pot of Pennyroyal to plant in the garden for use in my Black puddings. Was a bit worried on what constituted a safe dose. I'll get it planted and established before using. Will report back on my findings.

ps. Would Maynard have used it fresh or dried, as this would make a marked difference to the weight used.

Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby Swing Swang » Mon May 01, 2017 7:11 am

When used for herbal/medicinal purposes (and not to induce abortion) the dose suggested on some websites is for a tea made from 2 teaspoons of the dried herb taken three times a day. I am neither advocating this, nor commenting on its safety, just putting it forward for consideration.

in my traditional cuisine we have used handfuls of the fresh herb in soups and stews to no ill effect, and such dishes are still regularly served in restaurants in Portugal and have escaped condemnation by the "European Food Police".

Comment on growing it - very easy to grow in the UK - will self seed all over the place, and will even establish itself in your lawn an withstand close cutting (makes mowing the lawn smell nice)
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon May 01, 2017 1:33 pm

I keep meaning to get some, but Mrs Wheels isn't keen on making BP, and as I need her help to be able to do it, I fear that it's a non-starter.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Swing Swang » Mon May 01, 2017 5:12 pm

Wheels - get some anyway and use it as the principle herb in a rabbit/chicken chasseur for something a bit different and very tasty, or even "hay bake" lamb and mix plenty of pennyroyal into the hay - no need to limit it to BP - Philip
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon May 01, 2017 8:49 pm

Great advice - thanks.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Tue May 02, 2017 2:32 pm

Swing Swang wrote: in my traditional cuisine we have used handfuls of the fresh herb in soups and stews to no ill effect, and such dishes are still regularly served in restaurants in Portugal and have escaped condemnation by the "European Food Police".

Thanks SS, I'll give it a go once the plant has become established. I think that it will have a pleasing flavour and enhance the other spices I use, as some of them are quite aromatic.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Tue May 02, 2017 3:07 pm

wheels wrote:I keep meaning to get some, but Mrs Wheels isn't keen on making BP, and as I need her help to be able to do it, I fear that it's a non-starter.

Phil

Hi Phil, nag her until she does :twisted:

Since first making them, I couldn't believe how easy they were - far easier than making sausages !

I only make a small batch of about 8 black puddings following Sundodgers(Bricans) recipe for a Bury BP.
I use the following ingredients - 100g dried blood whisked into 700g cold water. 300g blitzed porridge oats (supermarket value brand), 50g pearl barley (Boiled until cooked), 100g onion (or a bit more depending on your taste) sweated off in a bit of lard or pork fat. 100g rusk or dried breadcrumbs (depending what's available). My addition to the recipe is a small amount of either pork or ham rind, cooked until very soft, then cut into tiny pieces so that it 'melts' into the pudding. It give a nice flavour to the pud.

The spices for this quantity are 26g Salt. 6g ground white pepper, 8g ground Allspice, 4g ground Coriander, .6g ground Cumin, .2g ground Cloves, .8g Pennyroyal ( I was using dried Mint from the garden). Be careful with the cloves as they can become dominant, especially seeing as Allspice is in the ingredients. I think the ones I have have gone lighter in weight than normal and ended up with almost a clove a pud ! I've dropped it down to just 2 cloves per batch now.

I find using a caulking gun rather than the sausage-filler works really well. The mix is very easy to fill wide hog casings, but not too tight otherwise they will swell up and burst.

Try mixing up the spices and let Pauline have a sniff - might just change her mind !
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue May 02, 2017 3:12 pm

yotmon wrote:
wheels wrote:I keep meaning to get some, but Mrs Wheels isn't keen on making BP, and as I need her help to be able to do it, I fear that it's a non-starter.

Phil

Hi Phil, nag her until she does :twisted:

I'm thick not stupid! I ain't that brave!
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Tue May 02, 2017 3:28 pm

You never know how far you can push a woman until you push her too far. Has the ring of a good epitaph !
yotmon
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Sausage Making Techniques