Bulk sausage making help

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Bulk sausage making help

Postby shanew » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:08 pm

Having tried some of my sausages, the kids football club have asked if I can make theirs for the food stand. I'll need to be making around 10kg a week. The only thing is I've been asked is if I can make them more like the cheap rubber shop bought ones to appease the masses. I've been looking at bowl choppers / cutters but these are way out of my budget at £1k plus for a used one and all seem to be 3phase mains. I know I need to increase the fat content and add some superphos but the blending bit is the problem. I have a kitchen aid mixer but no food processor so I'll need to be buying something.

Any help would be appreciated and any proven recipes for an "economy" sausage... I feel ashamed asking for that :(
Save the enviroment, we cant afford to loose more animals, what will we use for variety in sausges, i for one would have liked a dodo banger!
shanew
Registered Member

Re: Bulk sausage making help

Postby wheels » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:34 pm

You may be interested in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3020

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby shanew » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:46 pm

Cheers for the link Wheels, I remember making these years ago. What ever happened to Oddley?

Have you any suggestions on emulsifying the mix?
Save the enviroment, we cant afford to loose more animals, what will we use for variety in sausges, i for one would have liked a dodo banger!
shanew
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:24 pm

Are they a type of emulsified, hot dog sort of thing? I'm at a disadvantage because if never seen them, but I assumed that were just (fine?) ground.

I would probably just use these as a base for a supermarket type sausage adding filler/water etc. Maybe one similar to this one posted by Yotman:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10855&hilit=&start=45#p95484

Whilst cheap sausages might be made using a bowl chopper, I've never considered them emulsified - that's hot-dog territory. I'd just use a mincer plate with smaller holes.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby shanew » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:50 pm

Think along the lines of chip shop sausages. I was always led to believe that a bowl chopper was needed to process the meat after if had been minced to give you the uniformed texture. I believe it would be beneficial for making pork pies too, something else I have been asked to make. Thank you for taking the time to help Wheels
shanew
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:25 pm

If you search the forum for posts by Wal Footrot about Saveloys, you'll find a whole world of making chip-shop sausages!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby shanew » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:08 am

Sorry Phil, that was a bad example. I'm from Yorkshire and our chip shops have these kind of smooth rubbery junk
shanew
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:12 pm

Whilst you could continue to use your Kitchen Aid, for a regular 10kg per week (and with a good excuse to upgrade), I'd suggest a separate mincer/grinder and stand-alone sausage stuffer. If you want a really fine ground sausage, once through (say) an #8 mincer plate followed by once, or even twice, through a #3 mincer plate should do the job - but keep it really cold throughout, as close to freezing as possible without being frozen.

You could do something based on, or similar to, the recipes in the posts stating here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1952&p=17125#p17125

Alternatively, if you can link to a supermarket sausage that fits the bill that has the ingredient details and a nutritional breakdown on their website, we could try to 'reverse engineer' it.

shanew wrote:Sorry Phil, that was a bad example. I'm from Yorkshire and our chip shops have these kind of smooth rubbery junk

I can't say that we can make one of those at a first attempt; a man could spend a lifetime trying and not make a sausage that bad! :lol: :lol:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby shanew » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:06 pm

Thanks for the advice Phil,
It really is a shame to be trying to make something so bad but it's what people want. Take the horrendous pink sausage roll from Gregs as an example, they must sell in there millions.

Just the clear up on the equipment front, I have a N.12 mincer and a Northern tools 5kg vertical stuffer with the stainless steel stuffing tubes that Porker from the forums had made... that's going back some time!

I'm used to making quality sausage with my own recipes and a couple of yours and oddleys Cumberland being my favourite but these are traditional British sausages that squirt at you when bitten of prodded with a fork not the cash & carry budget sausages im trying to make. The use of the kitchenaid was with a paddle beater which I'm lead to believe would emulsify the sausage as an alternative to a bowl chopper. Emulsify being used to mead bind the fats and proteins and not to pure the meat for such as savaloy, hot links and polony type sausages
shanew
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:11 pm

Ah, I see, it's the terminology. You seem to be well kitted up for the job. You will need to mix the sausage to develop the myosin, but 10kg should be manageable by hand, or as you say, you could use your Kitchen Aid.

You could always chop the meat and mix it with the salt 12 - 24 hours before grinding it - forum member 'This Little Piggy' advises that this is the easiest/best way to develop myosin in meat.

The challenge will be to produce a 'rubbish' sausage that's still a healthy quality product - I wouldn't want to think that I had helped with something that wasn't. That said, they're obviously active kids as they're playing football, so a bit o' fat won't hurt 'em! :lol: :lol:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby shanew » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:29 am

I'll certainly give the pre salting method a go and see of they come out.
I intend to use 1kg of thick end of belly to 4kg of shoulder as back fat is impossible to get these days. Butchers wont part with it and most of the meat suppliers such as Weddle Swifts strip the fat and skin of for the pork scratchings makers.
shanew
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:15 pm

True.

When I used to get a ½ pig I used to add up to 10% jowl (on the advice of forum member Sausagemaker). Large amounts can make it too gelatinous though, but 10% is fine.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:48 pm

shanew wrote:I intend to use 1kg of thick end of belly to 4kg of shoulder as back fat is impossible to get these days.

The problem is that bellies vary wildly on how much fat they contain. I picked up a full 'Belgian' belly from the market for £12.00 but only the thick end had enough fat in it to cure for bacon. The rest was cut into pork roasting joints and the trimmings used for sausages. If you can get bellies cheap enough, they could be used straight through for sausages, as long as the fat content is correct.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby shanew » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:26 am

The pork bellies I get are bone in and vary from around 10% VL to 60% VL at the think end. It's very unhealthy but I like to confit the thin end, meaty ribs from the middle and the thick end goes into sausages with shoulder of loin
shanew
Registered Member

Postby Goaty » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:05 pm

shanew wrote:I'll certainly give the pre salting method a go and see of they come out.
I intend to use 1kg of thick end of belly to 4kg of shoulder as back fat is impossible to get these days. Butchers wont part with it and most of the meat suppliers such as Weddle Swifts strip the fat and skin of for the pork scratchings makers.

If you can get Weddel to supply you (trade only) they'll sell you boxes of back fat. A decent butcher should be able to order a box for you, although a box is 25kg......
Goaty
Registered Member

Next

Return to Sausage Making Techniques