Chorizo Kit

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Chorizo Kit

Postby thecure89 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:58 pm

This is my first post here! Have used the site as a resource for ages though so thanks for all your helpful discussions :D .

My friend has just given me a "Chorizo Sausage Making Kit", made by a company called Designasausage

http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/desig ... making-kit

I was about to start making it but it seems strange that it includes no culture. Do you think it would be safe? I've never seen a cured sausage kit that includes no culture, it just has curing salt. The instructions say to let it hang until it's lost 30% of it's weight and is firm to the touch...

Thanks for your help!
thecure89
Newly Registered

Re: Chorizo Kit

Postby ped » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:23 am

Have a look at the front of the packaging from a picture that I can see it says '100g Curing salt', so it is already mixed into the salt that is supplied?
ped
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:15 am

Welcome to the forum. :D This is a difficult question to answer without knowing what ingredients are in the mix and more detail about the instructions. What size are the casings?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby thecure89 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:46 pm

Thanks for your replies.

The curing salt looks to be just a blend of salt and Sodium nitrite, so no culture in there I guess. The instructions just say after blending the salt, meat, seasoning and red wine:
Hang over sterilised rods at room temperature in a kept clean area, with a little air flow (kitchen windowsill is perfect) for between 5 and 14 days. Every 3rd day, wipe the Chorizo with white vinegar.

The casings look to be about 1 inch wide.
thecure89
Newly Registered

Postby NCPaul » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:09 pm

I think the chances of success with those instructions are slim. Do you have a place to dry cure chorizo with temperature and humidity control?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby ped » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:17 pm

Sorry!, brain not in gear re 'starter culture' vs cure. How about a bit of sherry to get things fermenting?, QWF recommended Pedro Ximenez Dulce de Postre as an alternative to me, seemed to work very well for me.
ped
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:24 am

...or a teaspoon of yoghurt (live, preferably not chocolate flavoured) which has been left for a couple of hours to activate in a little warm (pre-boiled) water with a pinch of sugar as a starter.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques