Sausage never tastes right...

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Sausage never tastes right...

Postby briand » Fri May 13, 2016 2:27 am

My family and I began butchering our own pork last March. We've only done it twice and both times the sausage turned out... badly. The first time I tried for a sweet breakfast sausage and it came out almost too sweet. A lot of sweet maple and apple flavors. Although the texture was good it just seemed gamey. Then we butchered another pig and I ground the shoulder with a mixture of italian herbs and red peppers to make it hot italian sausage. That mixture wasn't so sickeningly sweet, but it still came out really gamey. I thought that it might be the casings we used (the links LOOKED perfect) but even patties which had never touched the casings still tasted off.

In the second batch I left some links to hang in the kitchen to dry and some went right into the freezer. Both tasted the same and I never saw evidence of curing in the hanging set.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks
briand
Newly Registered

Re: Sausage never tastes right...

Postby NCPaul » Fri May 13, 2016 10:30 am

Welcome to the forum. :D How much salt did you use? How long between slaughter and sausage making?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Sausage never tastes right...

Postby DanMcG » Fri May 13, 2016 2:47 pm

Welcome, Did you butcher boars by chance? there is something called boar taint that will give the meat an off flavor.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques