Using fruit in a fresh sausage

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Using fruit in a fresh sausage

Postby klephtZA » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:45 am

Hi all

I'm considering the implications of using fresh fruit vs dehydrated fruit in fresh sausages. Recently tried the PBJ Sausage and found the fresh grated pear to work brilliantly. I am wanting to put together a sweet and spicy pork sausage using a curry powder mix for the spicy and chopped dates as the sweet (or mango when in season). Currently I only have access to dried dates which I can rehydrate otherwise I have to travel for fresh dates which is a hassle. The only other ingredients in the S/S Sausage would be salt and 70/30 pork/fat.

Does anyone have a guideline in terms of using fresh vs dehydrated fruits to get that sweetness coming through? I want to avoid using other sweeteners like jam, sugar, etc. if possible.

Thanks

Chris
klephtZA
Registered Member

Re: Using fruit in a fresh sausage

Postby franklinfrank » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:35 am

I have used dried apple rings which were rehydrated in hard cider to good effect. Not knowing what type of curry you are going for, I would say you could try rehydrating the dates in coconut water.

I found that fruit needs to be finely chopped or ground to not disrupt the bind of the sausage.
franklinfrank
Registered Member

Re: Using fruit in a fresh sausage

Postby klephtZA » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:43 pm

Thanks for the feedback franklin

I ended up dicing the dehydrated dates in a strong food processor (yay kitchenaid) and popped it into the mix. I think I actually over mixed it as the bind was very tight and the dates actually dissolved into the surrounding mixture as would a saturated sugar like molasses.

Either way, it was really good without rehydrating them :)
klephtZA
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques