Adding a cure to hold in walk-in

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Adding a cure to hold in walk-in

Postby Marcelli » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:10 pm

I've been making Luganega di Monza lately for work, (basically pork shoulder, red wine, spices and Parm (acting as the fat)). I have been poaching to 160, followed by an ice bath to cool down to 110, let hang in walk-in to firm up then freezing. I freeze because I work for a private events space and the event size varies greatly from week to week ...so don't know for sure that I'd use them up before they went off in any period of time...so for safety's sake I freeze. As they are already cooked, as needed I defrost and let warm slowly in hot water for service. I'm happy with how they turn out but am curious if the addition of either cure #1 or #2 would allow me to leave them hanging in the walk-in (sits bw 37F and 40F) for an extended period of time. And if so, what's the consensus on that period of time please. And thank you!
Marcelli
Newly Registered

Re: Adding a cure to hold in walk-in

Postby BriCan » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:07 am

Marcelli wrote:I've been making Luganega di Monza lately for work, (basically pork shoulder, red wine, spices and Parm (acting as the fat)). I have been poaching to 160, followed by an ice bath to cool down to 110, let hang in walk-in to firm up then freezing. I freeze because I work for a private events space and the event size varies greatly from week to week ...so don't know for sure that I'd use them up before they went off in any period of time...so for safety's sake I freeze. As they are already cooked, as needed I defrost and let warm slowly in hot water for service. I'm happy with how they turn out but am curious if the addition of either cure #1 or #2 would allow me to leave them hanging in the walk-in (sits bw 37F and 40F) for an extended period of time. And if so, what's the consensus on that period of time please. And thank you!

What you can do and should do is use Cure #1 (just remember it will alter the flavour slightly ((for the better in my mind)) and also change the end colour but turning them pink which is associated with anything cured)

Make sausage as per usual and add Cure #1 to the mix, after cooking hang in the walk-in for up to 48 hours -- now to extend shelf life without freezing just vacuum pack them in 6 or 8 to the packet and store in the walk-in -- Shelf life is now up to three to four weeks
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques