Using Seasoning Mixes For Sausage Making

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Using Seasoning Mixes For Sausage Making

Postby mawil1013 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:24 pm

I'm looking into doing a different way to season meats for making sausage and wondered if anyone has already done this to reduce, from conception to success time.

I've come across many seasoning recipes, but they're not for for sausage making, they're for sprinkling on top of say a steak or chicken before grilling.

For example there is a famous seasoning for steak called Montreal Steak Seasoning. So I get the idea of taking that seasoning, which is already combined, to make a sausage.

Here's where I needed advice, how much of a pre-combined seasoning would be a good start point to add to meats? Has anyone else done this?

mawil1013 (Michael)
mawil1013
Registered Member

Re: Using Seasoning Mixes For Sausage Making

Postby NCPaul » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D I'm working on a project like that myself. One thing to look out for is the salt content of seasoning recipes may not match well with the amount of the seasoning you might want to use. If you are making your blend, make it salt free and add it separately.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:58 pm

I presume that the bought seasoning has a large proportion of salt. A starting point would be to look at the nutritional breakdown (if there is one) to assess the salt level and then calculate an amount to give about 1% salt in the sausage.

Hope this helps.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby mawil1013 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:06 pm

wheels wrote:I presume that the bought seasoning has a large proportion of salt. A starting point would be to look at the nutritional breakdown (if there is one) to assess the salt level and then calculate an amount to give about 1% salt in the sausage.

Hope this helps.

Phil

I make my own seasoning, found a web site for do it yourself seasonings.
mawil1013
Registered Member

Postby mawil1013 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:10 pm

NCPaul wrote:Welcome to the forum. :D I'm working on a project like that myself. One thing to look out for is the salt content of seasoning recipes may not match well with the amount of the seasoning you might want to use. If you are making your blend, make it salt free and add it separately.

I'm figuring maybe three teaspoons per pound, make a half pound, add 1.5 tsp, then cook some for tasting, go from there. I'm hoping to get to a point where I can add seasoning per pound instead of using Master Cook to adjust amounts as the poundage changes, there are recipes that when you reduce it, you end up with some ingredients at the 1/16 tsp, or useless! LOL
mawil1013
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:29 am

You'll find most of us work in the metric system for that reason.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Sausage Making Techniques