Spudly's easy Salami question

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Spudly's easy Salami question

Postby fusion555 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:39 pm

Although the recipe dose not call for starter culture, would i be better off using some Bactoferm F=LC then some Bactoferm Mould 600? Ill be using a wine cooler as a chamber. This will be my first try at anything other than fresh sausage and Bacon (and some smoked fish)

I dont have to use the Spudly recipe, just looks simple for a first try, any other suggestions will be most welcome

Colin
fusion555
Registered Member

Re: Spudly's easy Salami question

Postby NCPaul » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:32 am

To give yourself the best chance at success I would say yes to both of the Bactoferm products. Some other suggestions would be to add in 0.3 % dextrose and start small until you know how your chamber works. Keep detailed notes (always a good practice). I check weight loss weekly and use this judge how things are going. Another tip would be to not mix the meat enough to create a good bind as this is not necessary for dry cured sausage. Be very careful not to cause fat smearing when making the mix. Most problems occur early in the process.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Spudly's easy Salami question

Postby fusion555 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:38 am

Thanks Paul, i have some Dextrose, i had read about fat smearing but not about over mixing, probably going to give it a try on Tuesday

Colin
fusion555
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques