Stabilizers in Emulsified Sausages

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Stabilizers in Emulsified Sausages

Postby foodmonger2017 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:51 pm

Out of Curiosity, has anyone here ever tried to make a frankfurter using just a grinder and robotcoupe? I find that I can never effectively get the desired smooth consistency, that should give me the snap at the bite. I have been thinking of using a stabilizer to help sustain the emulsion during the emulsification process. Not sure which type of stabilizer (i.e. hydrocolloids, gelatins, carrageenan, etc) would best benefit what I'm going for. Any and all help, suggestion, or advice is greatly appreciated!
foodmonger2017
Newly Registered

Re: Stabilizers in Emulsified Sausages

Postby DanMcG » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:53 am

Welcome to the forums Foodmonger.
Are you saying you emulsion is breaking down while you're processing?
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:02 pm

I consider hot dogs to be one of the most demanding sausages to make. In order to get a smooth texture, I run the meat through the grinder four times with the meat nearly frozen after each pass. I then work quickly with small portions and add NFDM and ice before a very short blitz in my food processor. I stop when I don't or barely hear the crushed ice. It is very easy to overheat the paste when using the food processor due to the blade speed relative to a Buffalo chopper. I empty the processor and put the meat paste back into the fridge before working with the next portion. I like using chicken as a part of the meat as it seems to help with the binding and I also like to salt the meat the night before I plan to make these, again to help with binding. Welcome to the forum. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:19 pm

^I do what NCPau does. If it's any help, my method is here:

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=648

Not the best example of hot-dogs that I've made, but we enjoyed them! HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Sausage Making Techniques