Various Sausage Making Questions

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Various Sausage Making Questions

Postby DPG » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:57 pm

Hi All,

Yesterday I made my 4th batch of pork bangers and am now at last totally confident with the technique.

A few questions for those more experienced, however:

1) I'm after a really good seasoning mix for a pork and stilton / pork and blue cheese sausage, but have been unable to find such a thing online. I tried a stilton and leek mix from one supplier but thought the leek detracted from it, and didn't like the resulting flavour overall (not cheesy enough). Does anyone have any leads for this?

2) So far I've only tried making pork sausages, but would also like to turn my hand to lamb and maybe beef ones. In terms of the fat to lean ratio, I'm guessing it needs to be roughly the same as pork, but are there any cuts in particular of lamb and beef which are ideal for sausage making in this regard (for pork I use about 33% belly and 66% shoulder)?

3) I've only used hog casings so far, and wondering whether it would make any difference flavour wise on a lamb or beef sausage to continue to use hog casings, rather than lamb ones? If there is no difference, are there any advantages of lamb casings over hog ones?

Many thanks for any pointers!

Was going to post a couple of pics of yesterday's batch of sausages, but cannot for the life of me see an "attach image" button...
DPG
Registered Member

Re: Various Sausage Making Questions

Postby BriCan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:18 am

DPG wrote:Hi All,

Yesterday I made my 4th batch of pork bangers and am now at last totally confident with the technique.

A few questions for those more experienced, however:

1) I'm after a really good seasoning mix for a pork and stilton / pork and blue cheese sausage, but have been unable to find such a thing online. I tried a stilton and leek mix from one supplier but thought the leek detracted from it, and didn't like the resulting flavour overall (not cheesy enough). Does anyone have any leads for this?

I have used pre-mix spicing pork and leek but found that the flavours was off putting to the fact that one needs to develops ones own to which I have done

The problem that I have right now that I am in the midst of writing a book and this recipe is included , I can tell you this much is that you need to use fresh Leeks at a ratio of 80% pork shoulder to 20% cooked fresh Leeks -- Spicing should be on the mild side to compliment and not overpower -- fresh Stilton or Blue cheese should be crumbled into the end mix at around 10%
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:20 pm

Sorry, is it a pork and leek recipe, pork and blue cheese recipe, or pork, leek and blue cheese recipe that you are after?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Swing Swang » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:04 pm

BriCan wrote: The problem that I have right now that I am in the midst of writing a book

Should be a mighty tome of wisdom. Lest us know more and when we can buy it.
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby DPG » Mon May 15, 2017 10:13 am

Thanks, All, for the replies.

Phil - It's a pork and blue cheese recipe I'm after. I love leeks but for some reason have never really warmed to them in sausages.

If the blue cheese needs to be about 10%, that's a decent starting point, I guess. What's the best way of incorporating it into the mix? Freezing and grating? Blending with the water?
DPG
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon May 15, 2017 4:04 pm

wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Sausage Making Techniques