Guide to Percentage of Fat by Cut of Meat

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Guide to Percentage of Fat by Cut of Meat

Postby gsevelle » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:51 pm

Ok, started this originally as a question on another topic but decided to elevate it to it's own post.

Does anyone have a simple guide to percentage of fat by cut or meat for both beef and pork? I've searched the internet several time but have not found something simple that can be easily referenced.

Thanks/George
The smoke is rising and the butt is brining
gsevelle
Registered Member

Re: Guide to Percentage of Fat by Cut of Meat

Postby RodinBangkok » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:34 pm

Google USDA SR28 database. That is the USDA nutrient database that will give you a huge amount of data, however it contains a lot of commercial processed foods also and the nomenclature is based on very illogical terminology in some cases, which can be confusing to say the least, so be patient when searching.
Here's the link:
https://www.ars.usda.gov/northeast-area ... reference/
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:30 pm

There's also some info on here somewhere, posted by parson snows (I think).

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby gsevelle » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:49 am

wheels wrote:There's also some info on here somewhere, posted by parson snows (I think).

Phil

Ok so here is what I found: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82&p=1164&hilit=+Percentage#p1164

If you scroll down to the bottom you can search out the UK Meat Products Guideline Notes then try to read through and understand the charts, explanations, and calculations. While I could probably slog through all of this as I do have a bit of a math background and am pretty good with excel I was hoping to find something a bit more simple (yes the margin for error is greater) that would provide a simple estimate by primal cut of meat as to weight and % of fat, i.e. pork solder - 18% fat by weight. Yes I am aware that different breads and feed regiments would alter the results and probably the final weight of the animal at time of slaughter but I was hoping for something simple.

Thanks, I'm still looking.
The smoke is rising and the butt is brining
gsevelle
Registered Member

Postby RodinBangkok » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:31 am

Well your best bet is going to be recording your fat content for use in your formulations. Along with the variables you mentioned above there is also how much trimming is done by you or your supplier. Then there is a marble rating, that will effect the fat content.

So I have a variable called fat content in our database that allows us to enter an average fat content based on the way we use, trim and select our cuts. So each cut has a fat percentage that is calculated in the formulation, along with the added pure fat to give us a final percentage.

The only way to get an accurate measurement is if you use something like a computer vision system that analyzes the marbling of each cut as it passed under a vision system. This is how a more exact calculation can be made in commercial operations where the fat content must be controlled fairly accurately.

Your experience and consistency in how you select and use your cuts is going to be your best bet, IMHO.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:09 pm

Your experience and consistency in how you select and use your cuts is going to be your best bet, IMHO.

I agree.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Sausage Making Techniques