smoked sausage salvage

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

smoked sausage salvage

Postby kayakyok » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:09 pm

Made a batch of 2 1/2" logs all pork with a commercial "hunters blend" seasoning packet for fresh sausage and added cure #1 since I was smoking.
For a variety of reasons it took me about 9 hours to get to IT 153, the last 4-5 hours bumped the temp up to 170-180ish (a lot of swing in my smoker rheostat control). Took 2-3 hours to climb the last 5-7 degrees. Had 2 probes, one for meat and one for smoker temp. It was late so called it at 153 and cooled off the logs by just removing them from the smoker as outside temps were in the teens. There were 5 logs total and the second rack of three was nearly touching the 2 logs on the rack above. I had the probe in one of the top logs. As they were cooling I noticed the bottom three logs seemed to be noticeably cooler than the other two. By the time I figured this out the top logs were an IT of 116-117 and the bottom logs were 110-111 IT, a difference of 5-7 degrees IF they cooled at the same rate. IF they cooled at the same rate the bottom logs would have reached an IT of 146-148. It was late and they had cooled considerably so putting them back in the smoker or water bathing was not an option.
I'm feeling pretty good about the top logs, but the bottom logs make me a bit "nervous" even though they were fairly warm for a long period of time (pasteurization??).

Going to examine the logs tonight and if the suspect logs seem "done" in the middle was thinking of slicing and freezing, but frying the slices before eating to salvage the logs?
What would you do and\or does this option seem "safe".
kayakyok
Newly Registered

Re: smoked sausage salvage

Postby NCPaul » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:18 pm

If you were over 140 F for the bottom logs, I would fry the sausage to finish cooking them. If you finished the cooking by poaching at 170 for 30 minutes, you should hit your target temperature.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: smoked sausage salvage

Postby kayakyok » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:15 am

we are going with the frying before eating route. over 140 and over 140 for a few hours. Thanks!
kayakyok
Newly Registered

Return to Sausage Making Techniques