question about pork shoulder

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

question about pork shoulder

Postby lou317 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:55 pm

My wife called me from the supermarket and told me they have pork shoulder for $1.29 a pound I said that's great get one . She comes home I look and say it says PORK SHOULDER... PICNIC you did not say picnic I do not think I can use it to make Italian sausage . The question is can I ???????
lou317
Registered Member

Re: question about pork shoulder

Postby NCPaul » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:50 pm

You can use the picnic but you will have to spend more time trimming out tendons, silver skin and tissue between the muscles. There will be a yield loss from the extra butcher work.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby lou317 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:44 pm

Thanks NC
lou317
Registered Member

Postby ahm Fae glasgow » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:57 pm

Hahaha... I have the same issue! I didn't get the call though. She came home with 4 of them ( $1.15 LB Canadian), walked through the door with the biggest smile on her face and said " I got you a surprise. She thought she was doing a nice thing, so who am I to put a damper on her kind act. I decided I'd put them to use, so cut up 2 of them up and after a bit of time and work have four small test batches to put together all seasoned up just have to grind and case them later today. " Cumberland, Leek, Lincolnshire and Irish " if they taste good I will have some bigger batches made later on. All I need is the approval of their outcome when finished. she doesn't know it yet but she's the guinea pig. LMFAO
I'm Too cheap to buy store made sausages, but spent way too much on equipment.
ahm Fae glasgow
Registered Member

Postby ptaylortx » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:52 am

I've used picnic shoulders several times for sausage. The ones I get around here usually come with the skin on, which takes quite a bit of work. But, you get the bonus of making cracklins... Last picnics I bought were $0.52 per pound. Couldn't pass them up.
ptaylortx
Newly Registered

Postby ahm Fae glasgow » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:39 pm

ptaylortx wrote:I've used picnic shoulders several times for sausage. The ones I get around here usually come with the skin on, which takes quite a bit of work. But, you get the bonus of making cracklins... Last picnics I bought were $0.52 per pound. Couldn't pass them up.

I hope you stacked the freezer at that price, that's incredible.
ahm Fae glasgow
Registered Member

Postby ptaylortx » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:26 am

I hope you stacked the freezer at that price, that's incredible.[/quote]

They have them for that price several times a year around here. You were limited to 2 per purchase, so I made a trip everyday that week.
ptaylortx
Newly Registered

Postby ahm Fae glasgow » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:16 pm

As long as it's not a long drive....otherwise gas eats up the savings. Take the family have everyone buy 2.
ahm Fae glasgow
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques