tough hog casings

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

tough hog casings

Postby aris » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:23 am

I usually make a large batch of sausage and freeze it. I notice that the casings (hog in this case) can sometimes become quite tough - almost like trying to chew through a condom :-)

Is there something i'm doing wrong here? Should I perhaps be soaking the casings a bit more before stuffing? I've also heard about soaking in vinegar to improve texture - is there any validity in this?
aris
Site Admin

condom

Postby Franco » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:35 pm

I've never tried to chew through a condom so I'll take your word for it...

How long do you soak the casings for?

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Tenderising Natural Casings

Postby Parson Snows » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:39 pm

Aris
I�ll have to take your word on the condom chewiness. In the meantime you may want to consider the following.

1) You didn�t pre-soak the casings long enough prior to use. I would recommend that the casings are first rinsed in fresh water then soaked overnight - or at least a minimum of 30 to 45 minutes � in tepid (85 � 90 �F (30 � 32 �C)) water.
2) Sodium bicarbonate may also be used at a rate of 1.06 % of an aqueous solution to make them more pliable. NOTE: the casing must be rinsed with potable water prior to stuffing.
3) You soaked the casings but then let them dry out prior to using them.
4) USDA FSIS standards state �Hog and Sheep casings intended for use as containers of product may be treated by soaking in or applying thereto sound, fresh pineapple juice or papain or bromelin or pancreatic extract to permit the enzymes contained in these substances to act on the casings to make them less resistant. The casings shall be handled in a clean and sanitary manner throughout and the treatment shall be followed by washing and flushing the casings with water sufficiently to effectively remove the substance used and terminate the enzymatic action.�
5) another option is - as you mentioned - vinegar (at least a 5 % acidic content). This is basically the same as using the papain (papain is the main ingredient in powdered meat tenderizers) and as such be used at a rate of 15 ml (1 Tblspn) per 250 ml (1 cup).

Hope that this is of some use to you.

Kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby aris » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:30 am

Ok, if I decide to soak the casings for an hour or two (i'd never get it together to do it overnight) how long would i soak in the vinegar solution? For the same couple of hours, or is there a limit one should leave it in vinegar?
aris
Site Admin

Soaking Casings with Vinegar

Postby Parson Snows » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:45 am

Use the same duration with the vinegar as you would with plain potable water. But MAKE SURE TO RINSE them before stuffing them. Using vinegar ( 6% Acid Content) should also lighten them slightly as well.

Hope that this makes it clearer

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:41 pm

Get some free feather weight condoms from the family planning clinic and save on casings :D :D :D
Shaun
Registered Member

Tough Casings

Postby Parson Snows » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:54 am

Having read my previous post I realise that I forgot to include both Lime Juice (FRESH) and Lemon Juice (FRESH). These can also be used as above in place of the vinegar (same quantity, duration etc) though would NOT require to be rinsed prior to use.

Sorry for the exclusion

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques