Is this too much cure # 2

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Postby wheels » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:31 pm

wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Batman » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:54 pm

Interesting document which confirms much of what we have gleaned elsewhere particularly about the uncertainty of what actually happens in curing, the only exception being a reference to a paper suggesting that residual nitrite might be important The paper has more extensive examples of likely chemical reactions and a substantial list of references.

I'm still not sure that using natural occurring nitrates and reducing them with bacteria is materially different to adding nitrate/nitrites. This still seems to be more about a labelling/marketing issue, and not particularly relevant to the home producer, unless that is you have surplus celery juice lying around :)
TonyB

Visit my blog at www.batty.me.uk
Batman
Registered Member

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:20 pm

Boy it's hard to keep up with this when your off line for a few days. Guys you have spit out more information then you can shake a stick at.

Over the weekend, I reviewed the project, We have been storing the ham at just under freezing to 1 or 2 degrees calceus. We went for the colder temperature and extended our cure time to allow the salt to do it's thing better.

The container that I have the single ham in has produces about two inches of brine which still has 10% (about) of the undissolved salt. The container where I have both hams, is 3/4 submerge... These hams have developed an very rich dark colour. The slurry is now the texture of a brine.

With the changes mede I am very confident where we have gone, I will post some pictures later this week

Cheers
Cheers from The Big Dog
www.lesnoiracochon.com
http://blog.lesnoiracochon.com

Where tasty things happen
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:08 pm

Batman wrote:Interesting document which confirms much of what we have gleaned elsewhere particularly about the uncertainty of what actually happens in curing, the only exception being a reference to a paper suggesting that residual nitrite might be important The paper has more extensive examples of likely chemical reactions and a substantial list of references.

I'm still not sure that using natural occurring nitrates and reducing them with bacteria is materially different to adding nitrate/nitrites. This still seems to be more about a labelling/marketing issue, and not particularly relevant to the home producer, unless that is you have surplus celery juice lying around :)

I'm sure the meat and the bacteria in on it haven't a clue where the nitrate/nitrite comes from, it will affect them just the same...

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Re: Is this too much cure # 2

Postby Inthebiz » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:04 am

Im curious how your ham came out? I am currently trying the same recipe, it called for a 12-15 pound ham and i too felt it was too much nitrates. My ham is about 10.5 pounds and i cut the cure down by 33% i dont feel that just because its a runny cure it wont penetrate as much. I would like to know what kind of succes you had or not!
Inthebiz
Newly Registered

Previous

Return to Sausage Making Techniques