Ames Phos?

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Ames Phos?

Postby JollyJohn » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:57 pm

Hi all.

Just a couple of questions. I'm looking at a couple of recipes over on Len Poli's site, one calls for ames phos, can I get this, or is there a substitute?

The other question concerns garlic, Len's recipe calls for garlic powder, any good reason why I shouldn't use fresh?

John.
JollyJohn
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:25 pm

Can't offer anything in the ames phos question, phosphate I would imagine though.

As for the garlic, and only my opinion. If you use garlic powder it is generally a fine powder and will disperse into the meat easier, you won't end up with isolated lumps of garlic. Secondly, if you use fresh there is the risk it might "go off" or whatever a more correct term should be, I a not sure how you would go about curing garlic. :lol: I have used garlic in a chorizo recipe recently, it was what it asked for, I guess it might be down to individual writers preferences.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:28 pm

ames phos is hard to come by in the UK, Uk can get supaphos, which performs a similar function from here:

http://www.sausagemaking.org/acatalog/Ingredients.html

There can be issues of botulism in raw garlic so if using fresh it is best to cook it first. One way I have been recommended from a fellow member is to steep it in simmering red wine... Powder or granules should be readily available at the supermarket.
Last edited by saucisson on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby JollyJohn » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:29 pm

I think I've sussed it, Ames phos is used instead of #2 mix. I'll be using Weschenfelder's dry salami complete cure mix.

Maybe not, the recipe has #2 cure as well as Amos phos, maybe I'll just leave it out.
JollyJohn
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:32 pm

JollyJohn wrote:I think I've sussed it, Ames phos is used instead of #2 mix. I'll be using Weschenfelder's dry salami complete cure mix.

Maybe not, the recipe has #2 cure as well as Amos phos, maybe I'll just leave it out.

It's an optional extra, not a cure: as I think you just worked out :)
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Richierich » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:47 pm

saucisson wrote:.....

There can be issues of botulism in raw garlic so if using fresh it is best to cook it first. One way I have been recommended from a fellow member is to steep it in simmering red wine... Powder or granules should be readily available at the supermarket.

Wish I had read that on Saturday morning..........before I made the Chorizo.

I know you hadn't written it on Saturday morning! :wink:
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:58 pm

saucisson wrote:There can be issues of botulism in raw garlic so if using fresh it is best to cook it first. One way I have been recommended from a fellow member is to steep it in simmering red wine... Powder or granules should be readily available at the supermarket.

Dave

What I can't understand is this:

There's a 'potential' for botulism in meat and also in garlic. Nitrite protects 'against' botulism in meat - why not in garlic?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby JollyJohn » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:27 pm

Raw garlic is eaten all over the world, chopped in olive oil and balsamic, pesto's etc. I would have thought you're right Phil, the cure should work on both.

I just read an article about this, its ok if it is eaten fresh, its when it's stored that the problem may happen. Just have to hope the cure does the trick.

Don't fancy the pre-cooking idea, fresh garlic has a completely different flavour.
JollyJohn
Registered Member

Re: Ames Phos?

Postby JinxCat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:00 am

Garlic contains two separated chemicals that when crushed or chopped, combine into a natural antibiotic that dissipates with cooking, drying, and also with time. This natural antibiotic kills the good microbial introduced into your meats from the starter culture you've added, and leaves the meat susceptible to pathogenic bacteria such as botulism.

The natural antibiotic that is produced from garlic saved the garlic lovers, who ate raw garlic daily, from the black plague. As people at that time thought the black plague was brought on by vampires, they deduced that vampires were repelled by garlic.
JinxCat
Newly Registered

Postby JerBear » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:05 am

Re: the garlic... Just a note that if you chose to use a dried version half the quantity called for in the original recipe.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:18 pm

Ames Phos is a tripolyphosphate blend of Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Sodium Pyrophosphate and Sodium Hexametaphosphate. It is available from The Ingredient Store.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Return to Sausage Making Techniques