Pork Loin for lean meat in salami?

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Pork Loin for lean meat in salami?

Postby mattwright » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:37 pm

Hiya everyone

I was just wondering if anyone had ever used loin as the lean meat in a salami? I am pretty anal about cleaning pork shoulder for the lean meat - which means I take an eternity cutting out the lean meat, and get quite a bit of waste. I figured using loin might be an option. The only downside I can see is that it is relatively flavorless compared to shoulder or leg.

Not much is curing at the moment, one of my chambers is off, the other just has this bresaola in it: http://www.500px.com/photo/2193078 Hoping to start a big batch of salami and chorizo soon!
Matt Wright
WRIGHTFOOD BLOG
www.mattikaarts.com/blog
mattwright
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:31 am

Never used loins for salami have always used legs as being more cost effective

HTH
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Beans » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:03 pm

HI;

We used pork loins and added some back fat. Our salami has just hung for 3 weeks and we tasted one yesterday, and it is delicious!! I think 3 weeks is really short on the drying, but no gray ring around the inside, very hard salami, and GREAT TASTING!!

FIRST TIME SALAMI MAKER---------
Beans
Registered Member

loin for sausage

Postby larry » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Beans: How was the color on your salami? I just started a thread about using loin in mortadella, and having the color come out too pale. One theory is the loin starts out paler than the shoulder, another is that the curing powder did not have time to change the color of the meat, since mortadella is not cured. If your product came out red and rosy, that would support the second theory. Glad it came out well. My first successful cure got me hopelessly hooked.
larry
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques