Fermented sausages

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Fermented sausages

Postby grisell » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:39 am

The usually very reliable site wedlinydomowe.com (wędliny domowe BTW is Polish and means homemade charcuteries. Think about Latin domus = home, house. The letter ę is a nasal e as in Lech Wałęsa [ł, L with a dash, is pronounced like English w]... :roll: :wink: ).

Anyway, in the section about fermented sausages http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-ty ... ed-sausage , they divide them into two groups:

1. Sliceable raw sausages (Salami, Summer Sausage, Pepperoni)
2. Spreadable raw sausages (Teewurst, Mettwurst)

However, I do miss a third type, namely fermented and cooked sausages. In Sweden we have e.g. Prinskorv and Isterband (recipes on sausagemaking.org, use the search function if interested). These are first fermented, then cold or hot smoked (usually, but can also be raw or only slightly dried) and after that cooked (usually fried) and consumed.

Now, my question is if this is a typically Swedish thing or if you have traditional fermented sausages that are supposed to be cooked elsewhere too?
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Re: Fermented sausages

Postby kylemorley » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:19 pm

Another good example of this category, often neglected by our eurocentric sausage community, are the wonderful Thai fermented sausages like Isaan "sour sausage" Nam Side Gorg, which are left out to ferment for 4 to 7 days, then grilled like normal raw sausages. These contain ground sweet rice which acts as a medium for fermentation.

They are normally uncured, but cautious western sausage makers will often add #1 for safety, and sometimes Bactoferm LHP which shortens fermentation.

Others have suggested using yogurt of buttermilk culture to do the same thing. It would be interesting to see a taste comparison between the naturally fermented genuine Thai sausages, and the ones where cultures have been used.

grisell wrote:However, I do miss a third type, namely fermented and cooked sausages.
kylemorley
Registered Member

Postby RodinBangkok » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:49 pm

As a person that has made sausage for over 35 years, I can say without a doubt that Thai sausages have one of the most complex flavours I've come across. As stated above the fermentation has a unique source, and then add to it the flavours of fresh herbs that make it truly unique. I'm a big fan of some varieties, and absolutely hate other variations. I have two places where I eat lunch in the North and I've pleaded for a recipe or at least let me help make them, always refused...coarse so would I for my formulations if asked. I also think the fermentation may have something to do with the local weather and thus the bacteria in the area, as I've never found the same quality of flavour in Bangkok that I use as a standard from the North.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:56 pm

I would love to see a reliable recipe for Isan sausages. My ex from Northern Thailand used to make them and they were wonderful. However, I forgot to ask for the recipe. :(
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby kylemorley » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:40 pm

Check out the following. They range from a sanitized version using cure and Bactoferm, to the traditional "leave them out in the sun" style.

http://ahungerartist.bobdelgrosso.com/2 ... -sour.html

http://www.blazinghotwok.com/2011/05/ne ... s-now.html

http://www.thelionhearted.org/webbbs/pr ... pl?read=52

http://www.khiewchanta.com/archives/thai-sausages/

What I find interesting is that most of the sour sausage recipes do not seem to contain any of the usual thai spices - the fermention alone must be providing most of the unique flavor!

grisell wrote:I would love to see a reliable recipe for Isan sausages.(
kylemorley
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:45 am

Thank you! :D The last of those recipes is most similar to what I remember that she made, since I recall that she used coriander leaves and quite a lot of chili. I will try it soon, using yoghurt as a starter, and let you know how it goes.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby kylemorley » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:20 pm

I'm a bit baffled by the Appon recipes, though probably mostly because I am used to ones calling for 2-10 lbs of meat, and hers call for less than a pound. But also, the spice-to-meat ratio seems awfully high - 150 gr meat to 50 gr galangal! So I will be really interested in hearing a report on these. Also she is very casual about the fermentation stage, saying to let them sit a few days in the frig. According to everything else I have read about fermented sausage this would not be enough to achieve any significant fermentation - even with Bactoferm it takes a couple days at a warm room temperature.

grisell wrote:Thank you! :D The last of those recipes is most similar to what I remember that she made, since I recall that she used coriander leaves and quite a lot of chili. I will try it soon, using yoghurt as a starter, and let you know how it goes.
kylemorley
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:08 pm

kylemorley wrote:I'm a bit baffled by the Appon recipes, though probably mostly because I am used to ones calling for 2-10 lbs of meat, and hers call for less than a pound. But also, the spice-to-meat ratio seems awfully high - 150 gr meat to 50 gr galangal!

Oh!? :o I didn't read it so closely. I will of course adapt the amounts to my judgement.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby JollyJohn » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:14 pm

Wow, I must try the Red Curried Sausage ( Side Uer Prick Gang ), they look like the "muts nuts". Unlike Korean meat balls, that really are the "dogs bollocks"!

John.
JollyJohn
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques