Cold then hot smoke?

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Postby salumi512 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:55 am

BriCan wrote:Under no circumstances do we ever warm smoke bacon after we have cold smoked it as this will ruin the flavours and in a sense destroy the shelf lie downwards

I'd agree with that from lots of experience of applying hot smoke. This forum is great.

Brican, I lived north of you in Fairbanks for 4 years. Definitely got my exposure to cured salmon. Never saw anyone do caribou bresaola. May have to try that.
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby solaryellow » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:45 am

BriCan wrote:
solaryellow wrote:
SausageBoy wrote:Folks who intend to cook/finish sausage in a smoker will often start with a cold smoke to get a longer smoking time before finishing up the sausage with a hot smoke.

:D

I do this as well for some kinds of sausage.

Just curious -- could I ask which kinds?

Sure. I usually do it with summer sausage to get a little smokier flavor. I will cold smoke it for about 4 hours and then change out for my propane setup to finish it. I have also done it with bologna, kielbasa, hawaiian, andouille, tasso and a few others I can't think of off the top of my head.
solaryellow
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:54 am

solaryellow wrote:
BriCan wrote:
solaryellow wrote:
SausageBoy wrote:Folks who intend to cook/finish sausage in a smoker will often start with a cold smoke to get a longer smoking time before finishing up the sausage with a hot smoke.

Sure. I usually do it with summer sausage to get a little smokier flavor. I will cold smoke it for about 4 hours and then change out for my propane setup to finish it. I have also done it with bologna, kielbasa, hawaiian, andouille, tasso and a few others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Thanks for that -- as Wheels keeps on reminding me -- making sausage at home is a lot different than what I do and there are times one has to compensate for set ups that I take for granted. :)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby solaryellow » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:06 pm

BriCan wrote:
solaryellow wrote:
BriCan wrote:
solaryellow wrote:

Thanks for that -- as Wheels keeps on reminding me -- making sausage at home is a lot different than what I do and there are times one has to compensate for set ups that I take for granted. :)

You are right. For me it is a compromise of both equipment and time. Gotta make do with what I have. :D
solaryellow
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:49 pm

I was principally referring to andouille as well for something that I cold-smoke before hot-smoking it on my home setup.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby Dingo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:04 pm

BriCan wrote:
That bacon was also marinated in Bourbon and Rum which dominated the flavor of the bacon. My next batch I plan on cold smoking+hot smoke or half the batch and only hot for the other..to do a comparison of "Smokeyness" :D

If one was to use the Bourbon and Rum so that it was in the background then all three flavours (Bourbon and Rum, bacon and the smoking) would/will produce amazing tastes

On your next batch do one as cold smoke (as I described) and the other hot smoke --- my Maple bacon (120 pounds every two weeks) I used to hot smoke --- now I only cold smoke as this is out selling the hot.

Thanks for the advice Brican, I marinated the bacon for 4 days....I'll try 2 days next time and see how much the flavor mellows... :D
Dingo
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Sausage Making Techniques