Large skins

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Large skins

Postby greedylittlepig » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:46 am

Hi
I am looking for large skins to cure my culatella and fiocco, unfortunately the largest I have found to date are the beef caps. I am cutting these then wrapping g the meat, not ideal.
Can anyone offer any advice on suppliers please?? :roll: [/u]
greedylittlepig
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:12 pm

I don't know whether it helps, but I think that this is the bit from the PDO about the casings. Maybe someone can translate it and advise. (In my translator it comes out as bladder):
La massa muscolare così ottenuta viene salata manualmente a secco. L'operazione di salagione ha una durata che va da uno a sei giorni. Per tale operazione è ammesso soltanto l'impiego di cloruro di sodio (sale da cucina), di nitrato di sodio nella dose max di cui all'art. 3, e pepe in grani spaccati. E' pure consentito l'impiego di una concia composta da vino bianco secco e aglio pressato.
Successivamente la massa muscolare è posta in cella frigorifera ad una temperatura fra 0 e 50C per il tempo sufficiente ad ottenere il necessario assorbimento di sale. In seguito i culatelli sono posti in cella di riposo; il successivo insacco in budelli naturali e la legatura, possono essere effettuati durante o al termine della fase di riposo utilizzando vescica suina o peritoneo parietale e perirenale di suino.Le due operazioni consistono nell'avvolgere il "muscolo" nella vescica urinaria del maiale e nel legarlo con diversi giri di spago che, procedendo a spirale, vanno dalla base dell'apice, intersecandosi con altri giri di spago disposti in senso verticale.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby littlejoenc » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:26 am

Here is Googles translation

The muscle mass thus obtained is manually dry salted. The salting operation has a duration ranging from one to six days. For this operation is only permitted the use of sodium chloride (table salt), sodium nitrate in the maximum dose of Article. 3, and cracked peppercorns. It 'also allowed the use of a tanning consists of dry white wine and garlic pressed.
Subsequently, the muscle mass is placed in cold storage at a temperature between 0 and 50C for the time sufficient to obtain the necessary absorption of salt. Following culatelli are placed in solitary rest, the subsequent filling into natural casings and tie, can be performed during or after the resting phase of the bladder using porcine parietal peritoneum and perirenal suino.Le of two operations consist in winding the "muscle" in urinary bladder of the pig and tie it with several turns of string, taking a spiral, ranging from the base of the apex, intersect with other circles of string arranged vertically.
You Can't Kill A Man Born To Hang
littlejoenc
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:44 pm

I think it's losing something in the translation? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Given that it appears to be a natural casing, I'm not sure that you're likely to find anything much bigger than a beef cap.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby salumi512 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:57 pm

I've read on a couple of places that hog bladder is used traditionally for casing those, and then stitched up.
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Ah! I need to get my memory checked! Billy Rhomboid offered to help out with this previously. Maybe PM him. See:

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?p=77891

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Sausage Making Techniques