Chorizo -- Air Dried

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Postby BriCan » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:45 pm

Carl333 wrote:Your chorizo looks so tantalizing Robert. Now if I could only have a bite.

I could ship you a package back to you if you like :D

just received mail from a friend (off this forum) who is back your way

ROOOOBEERTTTTTTTTTTTT :) hello :) thank you so much :) I got a call
this morning and I went to pick up the packages :) wohoo thanks.
OMG the landjaegers are AWESOME they are soo good and the rum makes
them even more special :)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Carl333 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:25 pm

Robert, you got mail! Pls. check your in box.
Carl333
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:44 pm

Dang I better go check my mailbox maybe I missed something :wink:
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:55 am

DanMcG wrote:Dang I better go check my mailbox maybe I missed something :wink:

Did you find anything :?: :?:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Carl333 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:30 pm

Hello Robert,

I'm pretty confident with the grinding, mixing and stuffing procedures to put out a product. What I am unsure of is the following:

Based on the typical conditions one would have at home for successful fermenting/curing and drying and in this case dry chorizo, can you suggest ideal fermenting/curing and drying times and environmental conditions I need to closely replicate.

My basement temp is a pretty constant 65F and I have an empty frost free refrig. available. (Frost free may mean I may have to purposely create a higher humidity level that the fridge produces.)

If you can provide me a suggested temp and humidity level for fermenting/curing and drying, I'll experiment and see if I can closely replicate your suggestions. If I can, then I'm going for it.

Thank you Robert,

BTW, you got mail
Carl333
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:23 pm

This is a great mix, even cooked "green". Try adding 1.25g cumin.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby gsevelle » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Carl333 wrote:Hello Robert,

I'm pretty confident with the grinding, mixing and stuffing procedures to put out a product. What I am unsure of is the following:

Based on the typical conditions one would have at home for successful fermenting/curing and drying and in this case dry chorizo, can you suggest ideal fermenting/curing and drying times and environmental conditions I need to closely replicate.

My basement temp is a pretty constant 65F and I have an empty frost free refrig. available. (Frost free may mean I may have to purposely create a higher humidity level that the fridge produces.)

If you can provide me a suggested temp and humidity level for fermenting/curing and drying, I'll experiment and see if I can closely replicate your suggestions. If I can, then I'm going for it.

Thank you Robert,

BTW, you got mail

I've got a post out there on my fermantion chamber if you look. I used the shower in a downstairs bathroom that I could manage both the temp and humidity in with a fan and a pan of ice. Of course the room was off limits for three days. It worked great for both my salami and chorizo.

For the cold box I used a freezerless refrigerator with a humidifier in it. The frig is hooked to a temp controller that lets me set temp and range. the humidifier is pluged into a humidity controller that manages target humidity.

Check out the posts in the cured meat threads and you will find a great deal of information and sources for controllers.
The smoke is rising and the butt is brining
gsevelle
Registered Member

Re: Chorizo -- Air Dried

Postby Mkson1978 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:01 pm

Great info, thanks! One question; At what temperature, and for long, did you smoked them?
/ Martin
Mkson1978
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:37 pm

Mkson1978 wrote:Great info, thanks! One question; At what temperature, and for long, did you smoked them?

I cold smoked them, temperature would have been about 70 F and we did/do one smoke again about between 6 to eight hours depending who did the sawdust mix.

In essence; do a cold smoke and do a 'light' one

HTH
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby larry » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:28 pm

For the newbie: You can also do this without the smoking step, although those smoked links do look good. I also believe the smoking process tends to inhibit mold growth. I make my chorizos without smoke and I put mold 600 on them right after stuffing.
larry
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Sausage Making Techniques